There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Growing company, but IT is a big mess

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

it is still growing in business, meaning IT has lots of things to do. Dont have to worry about being laid off at this moment.

Cons

IT management is a big mess. There is no asset management, no IT service management. Most of the employees are contractors, no ownership. Employees turn over rate is high.

Stablized the core organization,

925 Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores (View Most Recent)

Heavy workload, low pay, no other options and not happy :(

Current Employee - Senior Framer
    Current Employee - Senior Framer

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Most of my co-workers are awesome to work with! However they seem to be a dime a dozen to managers and come and go quickly.
    -Was a part timer on the floor, got moved into full time framing
    -I love being able to work with customers and artwork
    -This is a good job for people who want a first job experience and don't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

-Overloaded and stressful job environment.
    -Standard hours for part timers are sometimes 20, but mostly 15 or lower.
    -Threats and hard to achieve goals are made based on a very flawed system.
    -There is almost always too much work and not enough people to do it. Have had go after hours (not overtime paid) just to keep from falling behind and getting reprimanded/written up.
    -Have had customers ask when we're going out of business...
    -My particular managers are decent but not the best. Some are rude to customers, others try but are already overworked and are very often stressed out.
    -The pay is near dirt compared to what employees have to deal with on a store and customer level daily. Customer service is sadly often put on the back burner just to get a job done.
    -I still give this job everything I have, but as soon as there is another full time job with better pay and better work environment I will be putting in my two weeks.
    -I have told people who ask me to help them get a job at Michael's that I won't help because they're not going to like it. Have also warned several curious job seekers that if they're looking for a job to start into even a small career or make a living to steer clear of this company.

People are more than numbers and customer service is more valuable than making a sale. A handfull of good, well equipped, well trained and prepared employees is far better than two dozen waisting hours and time and not knowing what they're doing.

Crazy Managers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Paramus, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Paramus, NJ (US)

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Busy busy busy, good starting pay, great employee discount

Cons

Management is RUDE!!!!! They are disrespectful not only to their employees but to their customers. They talk to us like we are half way retarded, they refuse to flex to meet any needs of customers, they threaten write ups for not collecting enough emails. we CANNOT force customers to give us their email addresses so some days are hit and miss.

Have some respect, take the time to train your employees, be flexible, just because a customer is rude doesnt mean you need to be rude

There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

Worked for Michaels Stores? Contribute to the Community!