There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Review stack rank undermines culture.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, smart peers, great pay and benefits. Great for career in the industry.

Cons

The review system is a stack rank. This means that good employees must be put into the bottom rung... someone's got to be in the bottom rung. I always did well come review time, but just the fact that it is run this way really undermines the collaboration and creativity that could exist at Microsoft. A very small number of folks are self serving jerks that will step on folks to work this system. Everybody else is just unsure of who to trust and fearful of making mistakes that will be held against them. People play it safe or work crazy hours to offset the failure associated with prototyping.
Every talk I have with every manager I've ever had there is all about how I can 'get visibilty'. It's not about how I can do a better job, or learn something new.

Get rid of the stack rank!
Embrace a bit of failure as the price for innovation.

8453 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

This is a company that contiues to grow!

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working environment and benefits. People are treated well and with respect.
    Contrary to some of the comments I think the senior management has done and is still doing a great job leading this company in the direction we need to go, in this extremely competitive industry, constantly looking ahead and shifting course/gear as needed.

Cons

Being a mature company some of us may be complacent?

Allow innovation, innovation, innovation!

Flexible and fun

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of variety in the things you can do, this compay had hundreds of teams working on hundreds of different products & services from healthcare to education to automotive to games. The fun never stops.

Cons

A large company means things flow top down, means a lot of teams to coordinate with, means cost cutting, means beaurocracy and less autonomy. There is still the old-boys club mentality though it is slowly changing. Not very many women at the top, especially in engineering.

telecommuting is the future of tomorow's workplace, and a great way to save.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft