Microsoft

www.microsoft.com
There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Wonderful learning experience. Great place to spend a few years.

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of resources at your disposal. Amazing corporate culture, wonderful opportunity to be among some of the brightest people in United States.

Cons

Very stressful. Managers are not professionally trained and do not seem accountable for decisions effecting employees. Long term career paths are not clear.

Train managers, create better long term retention of employees. Give people advancement based on experience as well as performance. Often the employees that take a lot of risk are also the ones that fail.

9002 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

Great place to learn the basics

I have been working at Microsoft full-time

Pros

A place where for the most part you only deal with smart and competent people. It's a place where we measure twice and then cut once.

Cons

Very heavy machinery when it comes to process - it's very hard to "just do it". Most work translates to cross team work which adds layers of complexity in terms of people. As a developer it's hard to balance the creative way of approaching software versus the analytical "figure out everything before we do anything".

It's not really an option at Microsoft to just go fix things in other products - the only thing you can do is open a bug and hope that the other team will deal with it. Management should encourage, empower and reward people that cross product boundaries.

Microsoft is high drive where enough is never enough.

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Redmond, WA (US)

I worked at Microsoft full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work with crazy smart people. it's rare you would ever hear someone say "that is not my job." The phrase "work hard, play hard" sums up my experience. At times you will work long hours and other times can have a more balanced life.

Cons

it's a big company and takes a lot of meetings to get things done. The review model pretty much is a bummer. Good is rarely good enough. If you do the job you were hired to do and do it well, you will only get an average review.

you need to do a better job embracing customer service. Upper management will talk about the customer being centric to what we do, but reality we are so focused on our internal processes, the customer, at times gets lost.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft