Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Great place to work, lots of different product groups, lots of different roles

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

ProsThe work culture is very open. There are a lot of different roles to choose from - developer, test engg, program manager, product management, marketing, etc. There are also a lot of different product groups you can join internally. Internal movement is very smooth and the process is pretty well understood. Pay is very competitive.

ConsMost v1 products are a lot of fun to work on. When a product team gets bigger, then the processes that come with it are pretty tedious. With bigger groups, you also get a high level of office politics where folks start engaging in micro-one-upmanship that be pretty damaging to the long term health of the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun a lean product group by focusing on a few areas that you absolutely want to shine in. Ignore the rest. Do not try to please each and every customer in each and every market segment.

Microsoft Response

Nov 26, 2012Marketing Manager

Very thorough and articulate review, thank you very much for taking the time.

Best,
GEM

Great company to work for

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Excellent company, great people, great compensation packages Cons: review system can cause competition instead of cooperation Advice to Senior Management: end forced stack ranking Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company with great employees

Software Development Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: -Huge company with broad range of products and services - You will find something in MSFT that you are passionate about -Employees are… Cons: -Stack ranking: Forced curves -bureaucracy: sometimes you have to work your way to… Advice to Senior Management: -Be more visionary Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!