There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft Forever

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is a place where you can literally spend an entire career at, doing different things, growing and changing in accordance with what you want at any given time. Want to work on servers? Microsoft has it. Want to work on portable media players or console games? Microsoft has that too! Search, databases, communication, operating systems, distributed technologies, office productivity, hardware innovations, you name it - if it's software, someone at Microsoft is probably doing it! And if no one is doing it, you can start your own Startup at the Microsoft Greenhouse project. And that's only the technology side. You can change your career path - e.g. from a technical maverick to a marketing wizard - with Microsoft's full support and encouragement. Training is part of the culture. Microsoft offers relocation opportunities, which means that if you want to live in another country for a few years you can do that without leaving your workplace. There's even a program that will send you to China for 6 months if you're interested. When life changes for you and you want to slow down a bit, there are even part-time programs. And if you read until here, you probably noticed that I did not mention the Microsoft recruiting mantra of “come and build software that will change the world”. That may be true, but for me it’s all about the company and more importantly the people that work there. Most of the folks you’ll meet at Microsoft are nice, passionate, honest folks that are just a pleasure to work with. I have looked at jobs outside of Microsoft several times, and have not yet found anything that made me want to jump ship.

Cons

Much like how the moss in Seattle can easily take over an entire lawn, if you are not careful, Microsoft will take over your life. Work is really addictive, and people tend to work very long hours, work from home, work at night and over the weekend, and let work fill up most of their lives. It’s hardly ever the case that a manager would ask you to stay late and work on something – you’ll do it yourself, because you are passionate about the things you are building. This is a very hard habit to break and you need to be able to set strong, clear boundaries for yourself so that you do not sink it too deep.

No advice, really. I think they are doing a good job, and as long as they keep sane, keep listening to the folks that work for them, and keep to the Microsoft values, everything would be just fine.

8429 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

ok.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Greate company to work for.

Cons

Cost of housing in Seattle area

grow the company organicaly and build leaders from with

Unlimited opportunities and endless challenge.

Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resource Business Partner in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Incredible challenging work and the opportunity to have multiple careers over a long tenure at the company. People in all disciplines are incredibly strong and often the best in the business which means you are surrounded by minds that can constantly challenge and push you to your fullest potential. Not only is feedback appreciated, it is expected and leadership across the company is very thoughtful about how they respond and react to employees when providing suggestions for improving our business. Ultimately, you can have multiple careers and really follow your passion to find projects and work that constatly excited and challenge you - regardless of the role you are seeking.

Cons

It is a very fast moving environment so it can be a challegne to manage work life balance if you are not assertive. The company moves at the speed of the Internet and often times there is less infrastructure that most people from other large companies might expect. The good news is that means very little adminstrative bureaucracy, but can also mean there is more ambiguity than is comfortable for a lot of people. You have to be driven and constantly willing to learn, grow and take feedback. This can also mean that sometimes we recreate the wheel or don't take advantage of the experiences others have had.

Our management is strong. My only thought is that we tend to think technical excellence is an indicator of managerial excellence when often times the two don't go hand in hand or hit the pavement at the same time. We need to make sure we reward strong managment and strong technical leadership and provide opportunities for people who are strong in both. Sometimes the most successul technical individual contributor is not the best pick for an open manager role. Sometimes the best pick is the person who wants the role and has a focus on managment excellence versus technical excellence.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft