There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft

Microsoft may be for you

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Microsoft is extremely professional and mature when it comes to software development. If you want to know how to really make software, this is where you want to work. Also, if you plan to have any kind of health issues, ever, you want to work here as well. The health benefits are gold plated. And the chances for advancement are good (up to senior level).

Cons

If you are not on the software development track you might not have the most fun in the world. Testers often try to move over to software development. And PMs seem to change quite frequently. So some jobs are better than others there. Also, once you reach the senior level it is very, very hard to move up to the next level (architect). Some groups don't even have an architect assigned to them, so you may never rise above senior level (I certainly couldn't). Finally, the cafeteria food is not that great.

After having tried living in a Java world, I just don't see how people can live with all the random open source stuff that literally does not work. When you develop in a Microsoft environment it all works. There is simply no comparison. But somehow you guys lost out the mindshare to every single developer I've ever met outside of Microsoft. Your development environment can cost $10,000! Haven't you figured out by now that people want their dev tools to be free. And people will put up with non-functioning crap in order to get that price of free. You guys seriously need to drop the cost of the Visual Studio environment and get people to see how easy it is to work with.

8385 Other Employee Reviews for Microsoft (View Most Recent)

12 years at Microsoft

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

Benefits were great at Microsoft.
    Work and life balance was stressed from the top level down.
    Many opportunities to make yourself heard.

Cons

Administrative opportunities are very limited if you do not work at the Redmond campus. It was very hard to move up career wise in the administrative community there.

Need to consider more effective ways in retaining long time employees instead of just treating them as replaceable with the next person.

Microsoft: Still a great place to work!

Current Employee - Lead Software Development Engineer In Test in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

What I really enjoy in working at Microsoft is the quality of the people (many of them truly world-class!), the high-performing company culture that pushes everyone to get better every day, the tremendous opportunities for learning/training and the huge impact employees can have on the world through Microsoft's products.

Cons

Like in any big organization, there is some red tape and politics that get in the way of agility. While this is necessary sometimes, overall it puts the company at a disadvantage when compared to smaller, more agile competitors. Promotions take longer and longer to get once above a certain level, so it takes a lot of patience and continuous great work to get ahead. Work-life balance has improved over the past years in general, but it's still an issue.

I'd love to see Microsoft reclaim its previous ability to lead the industry and to be the innovative company we all signed up to work for. Apple, Google and even smaller competitors are eating our lunch and Microsoft is playing catchup in many of the product lines. Instead of reacting and desperately trying to match competitors' offerings, I'd like Microsoft to be the market leader in innovation, execution and customer service. I want the "coolness" factor put back into the Microsoft brand and I want management to take bold action in this direction.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft