Microsoft

www.microsoft.com

Microsoft may be for you

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsMicrosoft is extremely professional and mature when it comes to software development. If you want to know how to really make software, this is where you want to work. Also, if you plan to have any kind of health issues, ever, you want to work here as well. The health benefits are gold plated. And the chances for advancement are good (up to senior level).

ConsIf you are not on the software development track you might not have the most fun in the world. Testers often try to move over to software development. And PMs seem to change quite frequently. So some jobs are better than others there. Also, once you reach the senior level it is very, very hard to move up to the next level (architect). Some groups don't even have an architect assigned to them, so you may never rise above senior level (I certainly couldn't). Finally, the cafeteria food is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter having tried living in a Java world, I just don't see how people can live with all the random open source stuff that literally does not work. When you develop in a Microsoft environment it all works. There is simply no comparison. But somehow you guys lost out the mindshare to every single developer I've ever met outside of Microsoft. Your development environment can cost $10,000! Haven't you figured out by now that people want their dev tools to be free. And people will put up with non-functioning crap in order to get that price of free. You guys seriously need to drop the cost of the Visual Studio environment and get people to see how easy it is to work with.

Great benefits, too much politics

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros: Great benefits, good work life balance, interesting projects, very good… Cons: Salary and bonus a little below average, too much politics involved… Advice to Senior Management: Fix the Windows Phone strategy, stick to the plan Bing, keep improving the cash… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

12 years at Microsoft

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros: Benefits were great at Microsoft. Work and life balance was stressed… Cons: Administrative opportunities are very limited if you do not work at the Redmond campus.… Advice to Senior Management: Need to consider more effective ways in retaining long time employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!