Leveling off

Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Work on products that are used by hundreds of millions of people.
Enough product diversity that you can work on a wide variety of projects.
Still many smart people.
Best research lab in the world.

Cons

Political
Favors fast follower strategy over innovation
Flat stock price for 7 years, no chance of making money at lower levels, which causes focus on promotions rather than focus on custmers and product success.
Nepotism at high levels.

Get a new CEO.
Carly Fiorina was fired from HP for making one big mistake. What is Steve Ballmer still doing there? Operating systems (Vista),entertainment (Zune, Media Center), mobile (WM 6, Kin, tablet?), internet (MSN). Microsoft also has terrible (yet over-powered) people in marketing despite (or because of) Ballmer's background in marketing.

Other Reviews for Microsoft

International Project Engineer

Current Employee - Intl Project Engineer  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Intl Project Engineer in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Microsoft is the health benfits package which is compelling in contrast to other corps.

Cons

One potential downside working at Microsoft can be the amount of red-tape politics, in conbination with carrot and stick management style

Something that would really make a difference and perhaps re-invent Microsoft would be for it to Think Different, embrace change pro-activelly move beyond the typical catch up game and really lead the market.

Really boring place. No spirit.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

I have excellent Benefits. I haven't had a single health care expense since starting, no premiums, deductibles, and co-pays. The legal benefit is excellent

Cons

Not much work life balance. It's not a fun place. Everyone is competing against each other. I don't think my accomplishments are always noted.

You haven't done a very good job valuing my accomplishments. I sometimes feel there is some degree of cultural bias when it comes to reviews and promotions. You are constantly playing catch up to competitors. Try to get ahead of the curve.

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!