Leveling off

Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager  in  Redmond, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Lead Program Manager in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

Work on products that are used by hundreds of millions of people.
Enough product diversity that you can work on a wide variety of projects.
Still many smart people.
Best research lab in the world.

Cons

Political
Favors fast follower strategy over innovation
Flat stock price for 7 years, no chance of making money at lower levels, which causes focus on promotions rather than focus on custmers and product success.
Nepotism at high levels.

Get a new CEO.
Carly Fiorina was fired from HP for making one big mistake. What is Steve Ballmer still doing there? Operating systems (Vista),entertainment (Zune, Media Center), mobile (WM 6, Kin, tablet?), internet (MSN). Microsoft also has terrible (yet over-powered) people in marketing despite (or because of) Ballmer's background in marketing.

Other Reviews for Microsoft

A review of a 20 months contract as a v- at microsoft

Current Employee - Systems Engineer - COntractor  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer - COntractor in Redmond, WA (US)

I have been working at Microsoft

Pros

*) Microsoft has a lot of money, so we always got to play with latest technologies.
    *) With a few minor exceptions every one is extremely respectful.
    *) People are very helpful, which provides ample opportunity to learn new skills and expand your knowledge.
    *) Always something to do.
    *) Compensation is very good.
    *) Contractors/Vendors are welcomed to most social events and gatherings.
    *) Although a very fast-paced workplace, you are always allowed to work at your own pace.

Cons

*) Microsoft has a policy of training new managers by placing contractors under them. After all, a full time employee can complain, file an official review, go to HR and so on. As a contractor your recourse is very limited, and you dont get reassigned, you either walk away, or get fired. In my case I had a very inexperienced person with no management experience. That made the work environment very difficult.
    *) As a contractor you are often reminded of your place on the food chain.
    *) Although not personally, but a coworker sitting right next to me received an email from a manager telling him that it wasnt his place to learn new skills as he was hired to perform a specific job and if he has extra time to learn, he should either get back to work, or go home.
    *) My payrate was cut by instituting a 'sitting fee' and i was refused to be allowed to work from home, that meant I lost nearly 4$ per hour. Manager was inflexible, and after 20 months refused to consider consider a salary review.
    *) Higher up the food chain, Microsoft is a very political place, and as a contractor you will sometimes be used as a scapegoat. The typical thing is to publicly send a 'blame' letter, and to almost privately immediately apologize for losing temper via internal chat.

There is a strong culture of 'blue badge' - 'orange badge' at Microsoft, and while it's not as bad as black discrimination, it's a very adverse environment overall. This mentality clearly stems from the upper management of the company and is openly displayed by some people in the workplace. This needs to stop.

go to market for ad technology platform

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hamburg (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I worked at Microsoft

Pros

I have worked i a tech driven environment - together with amazing people. All you do is on a global scale which give you an unique perspective

Cons

Frankly speaking, my second boss was a lemon

Microsoft´s nda is made of technology. Don´t get your fingers burned in the media game. There are others that know this filed much better

There are newer employer reviews for Microsoft.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!