There are newer employer reviews for MomentumSI

Technically rewarding, verbal expectation nightmare

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI

Pros

Best of MSI is their ability to ask you to do anything beyond what you've done already - great for folks who want to expand their technical abilities and are self-motivated to learn. They pay/reward well for specific ability. They will also expect your participation in CEO efforts that often expand your technical ability and be of strategic value at the time. Good recognition for those contributions.

Cons

MSI has long hours and are very apt to tell you one thing yet do another. Make sure you get all 'offers' and statements of work in writing - especially when it comes to anything you 'think' you'll receive as compensation for work/travel or expect to do at a client. If you're not currently engaged - be prepared to do low level development or sales support if you're a consultant- this is not a job where you can focus only on your given area of expertise.

Formalize the hiring process and ensure verbal discussions match written SOWs and or agreements with clients and employees. Nothing worse than going to a client expecting one thing and doing another. (This is from an expectation on both the client part - and the consultant's.)

5 Other Employee Reviews for MomentumSI (View Most Recent)

Consulting is for a select few

Former Employee - Junior Consultant  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Junior Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. You get to work with new technology. MomentumSI makes it's living by selling services to companies who do not have certain skill-sets. That means that they'll encourage you to learn the newest tech such as cloud based computing and devops tools.

2. If you like remote development, you'll love this company. They have an office, but no one goes there. Everyone meets in Sococo.

3. You'll meet some really bright people. It's a given since they have always perform on a deadline.

Cons

Be ready to have almost zero support when in customer engagements. This is not for all projects, but since they are stretched out thin it can get hectic for everyone. This is normal for a consulting firm.

This company, and consulting firms in general, are not for people who wants to own the software they build or be know in the open-source community. Consulting firms often work with proprietary software and do not encourage open-source involvement.

The ability to travel is a must. Recruitment will tell you that consultants work in client sites at most 3 days out of the month. That's not true. You can be in engagements weeks at-a-time.

Make sure that what recruiters says to potential employees is what's really happening inside the company.

Worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at MomentumSI full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was only there for a week, so it was hard to find any pros. The salary was decent I guess, and some of the people I met were friendly.

Cons

Wow, where to begin. First, "up to 50% travel" was actually "at least 50% travel, 100% at first." And the travel was weird: rather than a hotel, you're expected to live in their house ("The Purple Palace"). So, no work-life balance at all.

I didn't actually do anything the entire time I was there, just read documentation alone. At one point my boss called to criticize my wardrobe (perfectly standard; slacks and a button-down shirt).

Then, after a week, they fired me but refused to even say why. Pretty infuriating actually.

I don't think this "virtual company" thing is working for you. I also don't think you know how to interact with adult professionals, as opposed to frat boys.

There are newer employer reviews for MomentumSI

Worked for MomentumSI? Contribute to the Community!