There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Great people, good work life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loads of great people, lots of opportunities, good products, good work life balance. Joe Mansueto a genuinely inspirational chap.

Cons

- International growth is curtailed a little by decision makers lack of international experience (we say 'global', but we don't really do it as well as we could).
- What is up with the US weighted benefit system! I want my sabbatical!

Cost consciousness is sensible and inevitable in the current climate (2012/13), but we are cutting in to muscle in some teams, and leaving lots of fat in others. We really should me more intelligent about where to make savings (bloated teams of developers coding in circles), and where those savings will actually result in costing more (travel to visit clients / train client facing staff).

286 Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar (View Most Recent)

Dull job in a poorly managed, mediocre, and bureaucratic organization; no place to build a career/ grow valuable skills

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

If you need a job, Morningstar's ok. Expect little more from your time there. What the company doesn't offer in interesting work, industry avg. compensation, bureaucratic competency, or enjoyable social events, it attempts to make up for in:

1) Management that seems reluctant to downsize
    2) Promoting those that stay at the company the longest
    3) Casual Culture
    4) Solid benefits (Medical, Dental, 401K)
    5) Partial tuition reimbursement: CFA & MBA ($17,500/ year + 2 yr post-graduation commitment to work for M*, or all tuition $ must be paid back). High placement at Booth & Kellogg (Part-time only).
    6) Bagels on Wednesday's, soda daily
    7) Generous vacation/ sick day/ sabbatical policy (Can somewhat vary under different managers)
    8) Nice mission statements

Cons

Many departments are slow moving, dead end, and don't care to develop employees. Most positions are uninteresting, unfulfilling, and inadequately compensated.

Despite office congeniality, morale is low, team work mentality rare, and back biting common. Real incentive/reward for hard work, or growth of earning potential, doesn't exist (except on some sales teams). Business is challenged and in an awkward stage of development.

Confused and/or false messaging from upper management is persistent. Same as any other company, you can't trust the rhetoric. The execution of principles and policies is inconsistent across departments and managers. An innovative and entrepreneurial spirit no longer exists, having been replaced with an attempt to maintain status-quo. Value-creating start-up has been traded for an institutional deal-making culture. But, the transition has been managed poorly.

The realities of daily business are very different from the recruitment pitch and stated principals. It's no longer a "think different" type of place; it's products are not all that excellent. Expect a difficult time transitioning jobs in house or progressing beyond your present position.

Invest in high-quality technology, programmers/engineers, data analysis tools, and effective QA of data accuracy. Without this, the strategy to generate more demand from institutional clients for products is undermined. Substantial numbers of talented senior-leaders and employees leaving the company is also expensive and damaging to morale.

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great starter salary, very positive working conditions and benefits.
    Beautiful and modern office facilities, perks like free food, open and dynamic environment.

Cons

Large organization, difficult to progress.
    A bit traditional when it comes to adapting to new ways of doing business, and innovation.

Be more flexible towards young people taking on more responsibility.
    Stay innovative, although it's not easy in the financial industry.
    There is a huge discrepancy between the official and informal corporate culture. Invest more in people and change management.

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!