There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Good employer to work with

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Mumbai (India)
Current Employee - Team Leader in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy going work culture. Freedom to operate,

Cons

Slow growth, doesn't pay well. Nepotism, favours a select group of people

288 Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar (View Most Recent)

Morningstar needs to hit the 'reset' button

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked at Morningstar for over 10 years and saw the company evolve from a true start-up to a maturing, global business. What made the company great in the early-mid 90s no longer sets it a part from the companies of today, however the ability to forge your own path is still attractive if you're an individual who can take initiative, network with the right people, and not wait for someone to offer you what you want in terms of more experience. The flexible schedule is the real standout in terms of strong Pros - very few companies get that people are not children and if you treat adults like professionals and expect them to manage their time and take ownership of their work, they'll deliver and you can avoid a 'clock in, clock out' mentality that comes with a paternalistic approach to vacation/sick time.

Cons

Executive management consists of folks who have been at the company 16+ years and it is starting to show in a negative way - lack of focus in terms of direction and vision, inability to commit to certain goals in a tangible way (e.g. put the resources against the products that have the most potential for growth and kill the ones that don't make money) and aversion to the types of calculated risks that will be necessary to avoid Morningstar from becoming another Value Line.

Many folks mention a 'flat hierarchy' and while that can be helpful, I think it's starting to work against the company. The people in the executive ranks have made their millions; the middle managers and their teams who are the ones cranking out all the work get paid below market wages but are expected to do the job of 3+ people. Burn out is common and if you're good at your job, the expectations keep getting higher.

No mentoring for managers and no career path development. HR is a disappointment - while the HR management claims to care about employees and the desire to be transparent, an initiative in 2012 to address salary concerns went no where and died after several months.

I know no one wants to hear this, but lay people off. Take a good hard look at who is producing and who is not and cut those that under perform so you can pay people what they're worth. Morningstar runs lean in many areas, but there's still bloat and management needs to start reading the tea leaves before talent starts leaving in droves. Morningstar is in an 'adolescent' stage of its development and still thinks it's the 'new wunderkind' but in reality, it is no longer. This can be turned around if they cut products that aren't performing and invest in the ones that are. Also, redefine the tuition reimbursement program as it's turned into an MBA factory for all the new MDPs that we keep hiring. The future can be bright, but not without some difficult decisions and a clear direction.

Great people, great benefits!

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with all my colleagues. The environment is open and inviting. I felt comfortable walking up to anybodys office and asking them questions. The office has an open setup with VPs sharing cubicle space with other employees. Also, great snacks in the kitchen and the HR organized several fun events pretty often!

Cons

The training and learning opportunities to help career advancement could be a little more streamlined. Also, I felt I could have benefitted from knowing our clients a little better to better cater to them.

Encourage more dialogue between teams to avoid communication barriers.

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!