A pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture at NI is pretty solid. Everything is low-key, the R&D side has a lot of leeway and things are pretty low stress. People genuinely like going to work here. I make my own hours, don't put in much over 40 hours a week, and while it's not company policy I can occasionally work from home when needed. All the managers in my group have been great and give a lot of autonomy to developers.

Cons

You can make a lot more money elsewhere. NI knows their culture is great and that they have very little turnover, so they don't have a lot of incentive to adequately compensate long time employees. I've been here 13 years and could probably make 40-50% more at another company.

Management is ultra-conservative. This has allowed NI to weather a lot of the recent economic storms, but there always seems to be some new future uncertainty which gives them the excuse to continue trying to save money. Vacation carryover is still capped at 40 hours, 5 years after the temporary policy was put in place.

Reward your employees who stuck with you through the bad times.

Other Reviews for National Instruments

Developer

Current Employee - Developer  in  Yerevan (Armenia)
    Current Employee - Developer in Yerevan (Armenia)

I have been working at National Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great compan, work friendly, Can use crazy ideas, futuer of Earth is National Insturments

Cons

Ican't, because I don't know

I can't do that yet

Good company overall, but overhyped.

Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at National Instruments full-time for more than a year

Pros

People who will like working here:

- New or nearly-new grads. The job training is top-notch, I'll give them that much. And if you avoid getting pigeon-holed into a narrow role (like analog-only, software-only, whatever), they'll make you very valuable for your next employer.

- People who value security more than opportunity. You have to mess up really bad to get fired here, and they've never had a layoff in their history. So as long as you can suck in your pride and just play along with the approved "NI way" you'll do fine for as long as you want. Just don't expect to change the world there.

- People coming from big, beaureacratic companies with lots of rules. They'll appreciate the safe, laid-back culture and the management transparency.

- People coming from unstable, pressure-cooker small companies. They'll appreciate the slower pace and predictable paycheck.

Cons

- It really is a boring industry. Sure, NI can help other companies build exciting things with their equipment, but when it comes down to it, NI is basically just making generic programmable test equipment and the software to go with it. They'll do their best to make it seem interesting, but it's kinda hard for me to get excited by faster sampling rates and incremental software features and whatnot.

- The "smart" work has been done already, so it's nearly impossible to make a name for yourself with any new ideas there.

- The 14 straight "top 100 places to work" years have led the long-time employees to a "we know best" mentality. So if you're coming in with previous experience, don't expect them to trust you to do things your own way regardless of how much success you had before. They're not necessarily micro-managing you, but someone is keeping an eye on your work at all times to make sure you're doing it the approved NI way.

- Benefits are good, but overrated. NI's health insurance plan saved me about $1000/yr vs my other 2 employers, but only contributed 3% to 401k vs 6% elsewhere. And the bonus payout is based on 40% revenue growth, which is a little unreasonable in this industry going forward.

Don't hire people with too much ambition or previous success - they won't like being coddled like everyone else there.

There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments.

Worked for National Instruments? Contribute to the Community!