Neiman Marcus

www.neimanmarcus.com
  www.neimanmarcus.com
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

Good company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros – It is very easy to communicate with team members and management. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help each other out to get the task at hand done. Work with happy people with nice smiling faces.
 Discounts are great. Free iphone.

Cons

Cons – upper-middle management is very focused on numbers. Too many associates not enough customers.Could be very boring at times if you are someone who likes a more fast paced place of work. No room to advance. Our manager expects us to be willing to work 24/7 and also frequently tells us that we are all "disposable" and "replaceable". Talk about motivation to show up.

Please appreciate your team.. Listen, contemplate and revise, sometimes there is another way. Don't treat your employees like they are five years old, give them real, constructive criticism to help build and groom each person - not make us feel as though we are 5 years old.

386 Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus (View Most Recent)

Very Satisfied

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, ideal place to meet great people.

Cons

too much micro-management, unwilling to be held accountable.

Learn the skill of precise decision making.

Biggest disappointment of my career

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of leadership: upper management/executives are not concerned about developing, motivating, empowering and valuing their mid-level management (in my division, even the associates' bonus were higher than the mid-management). If you are innovative, committed and want to work for a company that cares, run from Neiman Marcus - they do not value employees and do not give you chance to grown - their "executive development program accepts 70 % of external candidates and only 30% of internal ones...blame it on "diversity"!
    If you are a thinker and challenge initiatives or decisions, NM is not the company for you either - as they cannot lead, they prefer people that can execute without questioning anything.
    If you are in retail and have the dream to work for Neiman Marcus (as many of us do...), consider it twice - it is likely to become a nightmare.

You might want to review how your upper management/executives lead people - business is not only about numbers...without people you fail big.
    You might want to question why change is so difficult in this company - or might want to challenge they 25+ years working for Neiman Marcus type of manager/executive that cannot understand the changes, the times or the new market needs and won't let innovation get to this old minded-obsolete company.
    You might want to listen to employees that are committed and there to make a difference, that are questioning your practices and policies. You might want to look a little deeper into different divisions of this company and understand that all of them are equally important and should be valued.
    Without that, in the first opportunity, your good employees will leave you for your competition. Good luck!

There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus