Challenging but worthwhile.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Two-week intensive training, $10,000 per year allotment for health insurance or as taxable income, 401(k) Matching up to 3%, FREE 8 DVD at-a-time plan + Watch Instantly plan, Awesome lunchroom amenities [free popcorn, apples, bananas, Macaroni & Cheese and Cup-o-Noodles]. Plus, Workforce Management contracts with local food vendor trucks for availability during peak lunch hours. Availability of 4-10 hour shifts. Comfortable and fun work atmosphere, never a dull moment.

Cons

Customers. Talking with customers day in, day out can be rough on moral [but that is the job, right?!] Just remember, "it's just movies, they aren't mad at you." That was a piece of advice that I was given and I remember it anytime a customer was rough with me.

Do not be so quick to judge the abilities of a representative based on a few days or even a few rough weeks. The job is not easy but with your help, it can be. "It's just movies."

Other Reviews for Netflix

Absolutely terrible and soul-crushing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free bananas, apples, coffee. Low priced soda. Free Netflix account. I worked with (not for!) some amazing people. If your supervisor likes you, you will be treated very well and have some degree of leniency when it comes to meeting stats and time spent on the phone.

Cons

Pretty much everything else not noted above. Most days the "What's working?" list is shorter than the "What's broken?" one.

No communication between departments. Customer service is forced to make things up because the Netflix "engineering" or "research" teams don't give any sort of information to the reps regarding estimated time to service restoration during outages. I put engineering and research in quotes because, as a CSR, you never actually speak to them. They are merely referenced, like mythology or fairy tales.

Reps are given goals that are nearly impossible to consistently meet, in what I believe to be a fairly obvious system that gives Netflix an opportunity to fire virtually any employee for not hitting their metrics. You basically are there by the grace of your boss, if they want to find a reason to get rid of you it will be fairly easy for them to do so.

The customer dissatisfaction is worded in such a way that many people are leaving feedback on Netflix, not the individual rep, but this DSAT number must be below a certain percentage or you risk losing your job. You are basically encouraged to burn through as many calls as quickly as possible, placating the customer or flat out lying to them (blaming their ISP, home network, or device manufacturer) enough that they'll be compelled to say that they're satisfied after you say "please stay on the line for a one question survey" and then promptly hang up on them.

There is absolutely no way that you are going to have consistent, quality interactions in 4:30 minutes or less, ESPECIALLY after the missteps that Netflix has made this year. But if your numbers drop, or you spend too much time trying to help out, be prepared to be "coached".

Coaching is such an absurd term, because it implies that there is a sort of team camaraderie or human aspect. My last coaching session with my boss involved being told that I was not giving my all. I was only supposed to be a contractor for 59 days. I was supposed to have health insurance by now, and some security as an employee. Instead we are told that they can only afford to hire on so many people, and better luck next time, but you're welcome to stay on as a temp if you like! So yes, I don't really feel like giving my all. Despite putting in consistently good numbers, multiple people on my team have told me (independently) that they are afraid of being fired at any time.

I get the feeling that many people are there only until they find something else. Netflix was actually a considerable pay cut from my last job, but even if the pay was higher the way they treat their employees is at the top of the list of the worst employers I've ever personally experienced. Work / life balance is non-existent. While going through some personal issues in my life, my supervisor told me to "leave it behind me" when I walked in the door, not offering anything close to a compassionate response.

One last observation: the people I've noticed who seem to be TRULY happy there are the ones who are too young to know any better. I'm not old by any means, but I'm also not an 18-24 year old kid who doesn't realize that jobs don't need to be like this, that you can actually be treated like a human being and be *inspired* to perform, rather than doing it because you fear for your job on a daily basis. Eventually Netflix will chew them up and spit them out, too. Ask yourself why anyone should give loyalty to a company where an employee celebrating a 6 month anniversary is considered a veteran?

Also, the positive reviews on here are probably left by Netflix management. It cites things they don't even offer anymore at the Hillsboro facility (like free mac&cheese, and, oh I dunno, BENEFITS for most of the people here). You will most likely be a temp with Netflix (meaning no benefits) until you quit or get fired.

I've been lucky enough to work for some truly amazing companies, and Netflix is definitely not one of them.

This is simple. Learn to communicate. Start treating your CSRs like human beings. Stop encouraging CSRs to lie to customers. Tucking tail and rescinding your decision to split the company doesn't magically make you a "feedback driven company", it means that you got called out on BS and you're backpedalling.

Pays well for a temp job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Pays well for a CSR job.
    Is full time immediately.
    Two week training adequately prepares you for position.
    Nice break area with complementary tea, coffee, fruit.
    No dress code. Wear whatever you're comfy in.
    Friendly co-workers.
    Pleasant work space- comfortable desks, chairs, clean appearance.
    Breaks are CSR responsibility. You have a schedule, but you decide whether it's best to go on break or take one more call.
    On extremely high call volume days (i.e. server crashes, etc.) managers show appreciation by coming around with a cart of beverages and snacks to keep you going.

Cons

While you are placed on teams to help you deal with any obscure technical issues that may arise, the teams aren't very supportive or responsive. They love to BS in the chatroom, but when someone asks a real question suddenly it seems like no one is home. On the rare occasions when you do have an escalated call that you can not resolve, supervisors avoid your messages in order to avoid dealing with the dissatisfied customer.

There is very little positive feedback. On days when I did everything correctly - 0% customer dissatisfaction (by survey response), low handle times, etc., the supervisor never said a word. The moment you have a long call that pushes your time up, they call you on it. Regarding any such poor performance: it was very common for embarrassment tactics to be used in response instead of constructive criticism.

Find better ways to recognize your good employees. It's disheartening to continually get good stats and never get a pat on the back. The silly workplace contests are nice, but the employees recognize them for what they are.

Get a better system in place for checking in on your supervisors, or a report system. It's frustrating to see your supe getting away with playing games on facebook while you're working like mad.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!