Netflix

www.netflix.com

Salary 15% above market , Duration of employment 90% below market, Worst culture to work in

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA (US)

Pros

You get paid 15% above market rate.
I was making 165k in my last company (150k base + 15-20% bonus) in a stress free environment
and then one fine day i found an opening at netflix which suited my profile.
applied , gave the interview and they offered my 180k total.
like a fool i jumped onboard.
lost my job after 9 months and now back in the market.
and yes those 9 months were no less than delivering a baby.

Cons

just after joining i realized that the guy sitting right next to me was fired few weeks ago.
as i spent more time i realized most of the people around me were no more than an yr old.
the work was too much but i thought they are paying me more so i worked hard at it.
turns out i had 2 slight disagreements with a member in another team and bammm .....i was gone....

the company has a very simple philosophy....if things are not 100% perfect ...fire and hire ......rinse and repeat........

dont make the mistake i made....dont leave your stress free environment for 10-15k etc because you going to end up being fired the moment your performance falls below 100%

reed thinks he is doing a great job..... i wonder does he ever read the reviews here on glassdoor.
the only problem is these reviews are flooded by CS so hard to read the real software engg reviews.....

Other reviews for Netflix

Work hard, be innovative, and always be prepared

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Pros

Your peers are excellent and from all walks of life
    Training is encouraged and done well
    work/life balance exists

Cons

this is not a long term choice and the culture deck is true

The cracks start to show pretty quickly.

Former Employee - CSR-1  in  Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

Pros

Well-paying for a call center, free fruit, cheap soda, a nice building, free Netflix.

Cons

Your work experience almost depends entirely on your manager, and your manager may or may not change every month. Things that one manager may not care about (and tell you not to worry about) will be brought up against you six months later as a final warning. Sometimes policies are suggestions and other times they are concrete, and this will change at random and get you terminated. This isn't just on the ground floor either, one day everything's fine and the next ten managers are let go and their teams dispersed amongst the remaining set (but everything's still fine guys, don't worry). There is almost zero room for advancement, managers are hired in from the outside and the best anyone hired at entry-level can expect is to become a CSR-2, a position that doesn't actually pay more. Anyone and everyone competent seemed to slowly leave for better jobs in my time there, and at first I wondered why when they had so much going on, but eventually I figured it out.

Decent pay if you can stick it out, but way more stressful than it needs to be, and I'm not talking about the customers; an old man yelling at you for thirty minutes because his blu-ray stopped working is nothing compared to not knowing if you're going to be fired that week because you had a sick day three months ago and your calls aren't short enough.

Act less like the captains of a sinking ship.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!