Netflix

www.netflix.com
  www.netflix.com
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)
Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (US)

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leading edge technology, not afraid to do things differently if it makes sense, agile and low process overhead for getting things done. Clear focus on a simple business model, with clear responsibilities and freedom on how to deliver.

Cons

You have to be comfortable with rapid change, ambiguity and have enough self confidence to cope with the culture. It's not a place for people who like to know what the rules are and follow them.

427 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Decent pay, good feedback from supervisors

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR (US)

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the work
    Laid back environment with lax dress code
    great employee benefits
    free/cheap food in the breakroom

Cons

When something changes, employees find out when the customers do.
    Mass layoffs when call volume decreases.
    I've heard they don't do re-hires.

Give your employees heads up on major company changes so they can be properly prepared/trained to deal with those calls.
    Also, don't lay off good employees the week they are supposed to be converted. It gets their hopes up and I felt kinda blindsided because I was continually getting positive feedback and was told my conversion was pretty much locked in.

Lost their way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- top of market base salary
    - 4 DVD out plan is free
    - do not penny pinch on equipment, get whatever you want.

Cons

- freedom and responsbility is their mantra when you're hired, but it is not practiced by new managers.
    - people get fired all the time for disagreeing or questioning management on anything.
    - On some teams(mine, not all) there was no collaboration in design between managers and programmers. The managers designed it and the only freedom the programmers had was to develop it exactly in that manner. If you disagreed with the design, you guessed it: your fired.
    - even star performers routinely get the axe. Others remaining are understandably nervous about their jobs.
    - so called stock plan makes no sense at all. Only plan I've ever heard of where an employee has to risk his own money to participate.
    - benefits are awful if you have a family. It cost me $800/month to have medical and dental for the family of 4. If your single, your completely covered.
    - no vacation paid when you leave. This is also a plus in a way though. Netflix does not track vacation time at all. If you take too much though, you will get fired without warning.

- take off that powerpoint presentation from jobs.netflix.com about the Netflix culture. It no longer applies. Netflix has turned into the mature company that is envisioned in the slide deck. Star performers no longer want to work there.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix