North Highland

www.northhighland.com

If you want to do consulting, there is no better consulting company in the world

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Paid by the hour for overtime (any billable hours over 30/week as long as you average 30/week for the entire quarter).
There are numerous other ways to get bonuses.
Low to no travel. Local model. We work and live where our clients do.
We are growing like crazy.
The company quite simply has the most incredible leadership team.
They really do care about doing a great job for our clients.

Cons

I really can't think of any, but in order to meet the 20 word minimum, I would say that it's hard to make friends with my co-workers. We're always at the client sites and many times we're on 1 person projects. Or if we're not, the company has a very experienced employee base, which means most of them are busy with family life and don't do a lot of hanging out together.

Keep up the good work. I think you are doing an incredible job.

Other reviews for North Highland

No different than other consultancies, just worse management.

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

Colleagues are great, with a wealth of experience, and if all runs well, local opportunities. Great chance to be part of the community as well. Build strong, local relationships.

Cons

No idea how to manage large projects, and friends of the VPs get treated differently, even if they lack skills or rapport with clients. It's a small consultancy trying to be a big one, but their growing pains aren't being managed well. They SAY their people matter, but are easily disposable when a VP wants to contain budget. Anything for client work, regardless of the cost. Business model is not working, and the reason you're in cost-containment mode (Plan B) is because they focus on the wrong things and don't utilize what they have and what they're good at.

Treat your people with respect, and don't favor your buddies like schoolchildren. Pay attention to the people running your projects, and stop the delusions of grandeur ... you're not that successful, and the VPs are only at the level of a PwC or Deloitte Senior Manager (or greasy car salesmen, ew).

Miss the people, the work, and the clients

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

The fellow consultants were a great group of highly motivated people. I truly loved working for our key accounts in the area and solving their problems and being a resource to them. I felt like an owner when I joined the company and really hoped to stay for the rest of my career.

Cons

The local leadership changes prevented any real continuity and the heavy focus on growing the oil and gas business led to some short-sightedness in other areas. The pay was generally somewhat less than could be earned at other local consulting companies or larger ones.

Trust and invest in your people more.

There are newer employer reviews for North Highland.

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!