There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes

Former Employee - Application Engineer  in  Provo, UT (US)
Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT (US)

I worked at Novell

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

300 Other Employee Reviews for Novell (View Most Recent)

Great student job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT (US)

I have been working at Novell

Pros

As a student at BYU, Novell has been EXTREMELY flexible with my work schedule. I make my own hours, and when I need time off as long as I let them know in advance I'm able to take off as much as I need. I've gained incredible work experience here as well, being able to work on great projects that often times the Board of Directors see.

Cons

I would be afraid to work here if I were planning on building a long term career starting at Novell. There's not a lot of room to grow.

There's also been uncertainty around Novell's financial stability. Recent rumors of a possible by out (although denied by the CEO) are one example of the uncertainty the company faces. Novell's been around for a while, yes, but its continued long term viability remains to be seen.

Focus on long-term and not short term results. For example, the company recently finished a "100-in-100" campaign, with the goal being to invoice $100 million in revenue in 100 days. If management really wants to build long-term shareholder wealth, they'd focus on longer-term initiatives and not promote the bad habits that evolve from these short-term initiatives.

Wonderful Experience - Provides Exceptional Training and Preparation for Future Career

Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly  in  Provo, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Student Intern - Hourly in Provo, UT (US)

I have been working at Novell

Pros

1. Training and Exposure: The department that I work in has taken extreme measures to provide me with exposure to many of Novell's business issues. As a business/accounting major, I have found that working at Novell has provided me with a significant amount of relevant experience. Many of my post-graduate-employer interviews have had my experience at Novell as a main discussion point, and often earned me the offer. My managers provide plenty of training and mentoring, while still permitting a loose enough leash to let me venture independently.

2. Public Company in Provo: In the Provo area, it is difficult to find an employer that is large enough to expose you to hot topics and big business issues. Novell provides exactly that. With almost a $1 billion in revenue, Novell has operations all over the world. That background provides valuable perspective.

3. Fair Compensation: For the area, the pay is really great.

4. Awesome Work Environment: The campus Novell is on is really beautiful and very clean. The buildings are well maintained and they offer many great benefits: Free gym membership, decent food/cafeteria, and many other on-site services.

5. Flexibility: My managers have been extremely flexible with my work schedule. I usually just tell them when and they approve it. It is designed more around project needs than an hourly commitment. They also let me take off for 10 weeks to do an internship elsewhere! (with a Big Four Accounting Firm) So they are very flexible and want students to gain a lot of experience for their future careers.

Cons

1. Minimum 20 Hours per Week: I only put this here since I can't think of anything else. I work a lot more than that - although my schedule is very flexible. I'm not sure if this applies to other interns in other departments either.

2. No benefits for interns (medical): Not to be expected, but something to be aware of. (We still get paid holidays though!)

3. If you are a college student, Novell is in the southern most part of Provo. So you will need a car or bus pass. Hardly a "Con", but again - something to be aware of.

The grounds are extremely nice. Almost too nice. I just hope that we aren't spending so much money on the campus that we are taking away growth/job opportunities.

Focus less on cost cutting and more on revenue growth. Cost-cutting (which is extremely important) only goes so far. It is great to be profitable again, but I would love to see our revenue taking off. I loved the 100 in 100 campaign. Hopefully it is the first of many good ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!