They will drive you crazy with the radios that they make you wear.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I  in  Warner Robins, GA (US)
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Warner Robins, GA (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. If you are going to school or have another job they will work with you.

Cons

1. Low pay starting at minimum wage.
2. Raises are like 10 cents a year.
2. The schedule is constantly changing so that it is impossible to get a normal sleep schedule going. In any given week I might be getting there as early as 6am or as late as 7pm from one day to the next. They would have me closing one night and opening the very next day. Not very considerate.
3. It is hard to get more than 32 hours and they don't promote any sales associates to full time. Only managers get full time hours.
4. The radios that they make you wear are really annoying because it is difficult to try to do a good job while constantly hearing what everybody else is saying over the radio and I do mean constantly because Office Depot just started this new Certification thing where the goal is to stalk every customer through the store and constantly report over the radio when any customer moves anywhere in the store and what questions have we already asked that customer and has that customer already been greeted properly and what did the customer say in response to our questions. And we are supposed to make things fun by constantly saying lots of fun things over the radio and there is never supposed to be more than one or two minutes of radio silence because that means we are supposedly neglecting customers. It is very stressful to try to do a good job while constantly having to hear what everybody is saying over the radio and it is really creepy to be required to constantly stalk customers around the store and reporting in to the radio about what they are doing is really creepy.

Other Reviews for Office Depot

Eh...

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Sarasota, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Sarasota, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

- The hours are extremely flexible, and management is willing to work with you on them. I've also never been denied time off I've asked for, which is nice, since I usually only do so for family matters.
    - Fellow associates are very nice and always willing to help out.

Cons

- The ISCE program is completely ridiculous. It's impossible to concentrate on the customer in front of me with constant chattering over my ear in the headset. I've actually had customers complain to me that it felt like they couldn't shop in peace because there was an associate asking if they needed help every two seconds.
    - Nobody in the store I work in finds it all that rewarding to offer Protection Plans anymore. We used to be really good at offering them whenever possible, but people rarely took them. It just got to a point where we knew we wouldn't hit our monthly goal for commisson, so why bother? Where is all that profit going, if we're not getting it?
    - The raises are miniscule. You'd be lucky to get a twenty-five cent raise in the course of a year.
    - It's pretty much impossible to work your way up. Getting a management position is more about who you know rather than what you know.
    - Though part-timers (as everyone but management is) are offered benefits, they're really expensive and don't actually cover much. Not worth it.

Get rid of the ISCE program in smaller stores. Either that, or give us more payroll so we can execute it like how you're forcing us! It would be nice to get raises more than once a year as well, and not such a tiny amount. Perhaps performance reviews every six months or something?

Good people, good environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very competitive - result driven.

Cons

Very demanding of goals that were unattainable.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!