Orbitz Worldwide

www.orbitz.com

Good so far

Current Employee - Technology  in  Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Seems like everyone I work with enjoys being there, no real disgruntled employees that I have come across. Everyone so far has been a pleasure to work with and a positive vibe. Let's be honest that really what makes or breaks a job is the people you work with.

Great office, nice location.

Compensation is on par with competitors.

Cons

A little too software happy, you have to log any vacation or time off twice in separate systems. Stupid red tape with dealing with issues like getting locked out of machine or hardware stuff.

You must submit your hours weekly (Replicon).

No personal mail of any kind allowed, which I have never encountered before any any company. It's not critical but every now and then there may be a package that you have to have delivered at work, but that wont happen here.

No 401k match for the entire first year, another first experience for me and a surprise given the size of the company.

PTO is on the stingy side, 12 days of vacation a year.

Ease up on the personal mail, we spend the majority of our week in the office...at least let us pick up important deliveries from the mail room, you dont have to deliver it. Remove redundancy from employee tools, kill replicon.

Other reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

Great people, great industry, great tech - always a new challenge and opportunity to lead and learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

It is rare you can work at a company that gets to build products for an industry (travel) that is changing as much as it has in the past few years. With the advent of mobile, consumers are traveling in totally different ways and Orbitz is a great place to apply cutting edge technology to these new opportunities. People at Orbitz are smart, very tech savvy, but approachable and willing to learn. Teams genuinely strive to do great work and make a difference in the space. From a ecommerce and mobile commerce perspective - nothing comes close in the Midwest in terms of a place to work that drives this many global transactions and scale.

Cons

The market is competitive and Orbitz hasn't been able yet to really hit its stride. This contrast is drawn sharper by recent competitive wins. Employees are fairly loyal and have been yearning to achieve a breakout year/performance that seems to be just beyond reach. The good news here is that people are genuinely interested in seeing the company and their fellow employees succeed and through their determination/savvy may eventually make it so.

Keep the focus. Build unique and valuable products.

Great things happening at Orbitz

Pros

I have been at Orbitz for a few years and I am continually impressed by the quality of the people here and their passion for the business. We are making good progress in the key areas laid out by the leadership team and we are beginning to see the payoff, particularly in areas like Mobile. The leadership team is approachable and Orbitz is a pretty flat structure meaning it's easy to get your ideas heard.

Cons

Orbitz has fewer people than some of our larger competitors, but just as much to get done. It means everyone has a lot on their plate and so it's hard to do everything.

There are a lot of things happening and people are pulled in a lot of directions - clarifying what is truly important to help people focus would be a huge help.

There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide.

Worked for Orbitz Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!