There are newer employer reviews for Oxford University

Decent pay, good career support and courses, great reputation

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)
Current Employee - Post Doctoral Research Assistant in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reputation is excellent for future employment.
Research is not notch.
City is small enough to not feel overwhelming.

Cons

Services can be a little 2nd world (e.g IT).
Quality of support entirely dependent on PI, not University.

Put a university wide scheme in place to ensure all staff are routinely assessed for developmental needs.

98 Other Employee Reviews for Oxford University (View Most Recent)

Great researching resources and students; poor salaries, employment rights and support

Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Tutor and Instructor in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Oxford University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students are ambitious and wonderful to teach (mostly), and the libraries and community of scholars is vibrant and ambitious, if occasionally overly-competitive or a few years behind the trends.

Cons

Few, and increasingly fewer, tenured jobs, with more emphasis on by-hour and adjunct teaching, which means no payment for marking and prep. I was once told that, because I was based at a different college to the one I was tutoring for and was a grad student at the time -- that I had no right to photocopy for my students and that therefore any photocopies I needed for class would come out of my £22 per (classroom) hour wage. In general, Oxford knows that the brand has capital, and that academics cannot be choosy about their jobs in this market, and it seems to take full advantage of these facts by treating their employees as people who should be grateful just to be there.

Professionalise your approach: ensure that everyone ranging from full professors and chairs to graduate tutors can benefit from salary and per-hour wage transparency, a clear year-by-year salary/wage ladder, and a federalised expectation of what colleges should be providing to their tutors outside of basic wage and/or salary. In general, federalise teaching provision and payment as much as possible: opportunities, hierarchies and support ranges far too drastically from college to college.

Overall a positive experience but it is a long way off perfect

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Oxford University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of freedom to pursue your own ideas. You tend to come across a good quality of other scientists to work with, not always but certainly more often than not. There are always talks from big players in the field, either yours or in other fields. Depends massively on your supervisor, but there does seem reasonable funding around to help your research.

Cons

If your ideas you have don't result in a decent publication or two every 2-3 years, you will find it tough in academia. Luck plays a big role but also the output and attitude of those around you. Being a post-doc for a long time with low job security can be a bit of a painful experience. Supervisors of labs were selected as good scientists, and not managers, so labs can end up run badly.

Supervisors of labs vary massively in their ability to be managers, which in their defence was not what they were selected for. Some training, and accountability for bad practice would help.

There are newer employer reviews for Oxford University