There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

Good Company but usually doesn't pay as well as most other companies.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Very Stable, Takes Care of Employees

Cons

Lower than average Salary, Better chance at getting higher salary by leaving and coming back

1187 Other Employee Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group (View Most Recent)

Highly depends on your manager - Stay the heck out of Retail!

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - 401k 4% match plus 3% pension, vacation packages, 6 days sick time, adoption/tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, life and a contribution to a HSA

Work / Home balance can be great...depending on your position and manager

Co-Workers are usually fun people

Job Security (As long as you do the work that's expected of you)

Cons

I recently switched positions from being in the branch (4 1/2 years) to an administrative position on the corporate side. This was THE BEST move I could have possibly made. I ABSOLUTELY love my job now! My manager is great, and the team I work with is great. I don't have anybody breathing down my back, I know what I need to do, and do it on my own time. Once I complete a task, that's it. There aren't 5 different places where I need to document what I've done. The Cons I'm about to share were directly linked to being the branch (retail banking)...

THE PAY IS AWFUL!! I make 10k more a year now, and I have less stress and less responsibility. It doesn't really make sense. When you work in the branch, you are expected to be "jack of all trades", and never make a mistake. You manage underpaid, dimwit personnel. (You get what you pay for PNC) It's a constant revolving door with branch employees. When you pay someone $9 an hour, you get, well...$9 an hour help. This means being constantly understaffed, and constantly training new hires. I made about $15 an hour as a Teller Supervisor, and that was significantly low given the amount of work and knowledge required of me.

Middle management is completely out of touch. It's ALL about the numbers being crunched out. I was lucky enough to work for an awesome manager during most of my time in the branch. Most people aren't so lucky. Once that manager left, everything went downhill. I then directly reported to the regional manager, who only would contact me if he had something negative to say. The regionals put such fear in their managers about not making "goal", and this usually is filtered down to the rest of the employees creating a toxic work environment. If your branch happens to be a busier location, and you have good sales numbers, your commission will still suck. They way they structure commission is very confusing, and it's close to impossible to make any money off of it.

There is a report and an action plan for EVERYTHING. You document every customer conversation you have, everytime you mention a product, everything you talk about as a branch, everytime you breathe. You spend more time documenting what you do in a day than actually doing it. PLUS, as a teller supervisor, you have to document what your tellers are doing....as well as the words they use with customers...my next point...

CIQ and canned phrases. "WELCOME TO PNC" to EVERY customer, EVERYTIME. This is AWFUL!!! Again...I understand you need to have some sort of uniform for the $9 an hour idiots that are hired, but COME ON! My regular clients would LAUGH when they heard us use they these coined phrases, and we only did it if someone was "documenting" our conversation. We (as a branch) would not follow these guidelines for the most part, talk like normal human beings, and maintained 5 star (CIQ) scores. However, if we had a suprise middle management guest in the branch that day, we HAD to use the "5 star" language. The PNC world would end if we didn't! This practice is completely dehumanizing, and I was ashamed to be a part of it.

Review your middle managment personnel, especially the ones with a high rate of employee turnover. There is a reason for this.

Pay your branch employees more for gods sake. You will attract better talent, retain them longer, have better CIQ scores, happier clients, and will spend less money on training. In all honesty, people on the corporate side make so much more, and usually aren't working as stressful of a job.

Get rid of 5 star language. It's one thing to have a guideline of language that should be used, but to make them say the same phrases to the same customers everyday is just overkill. The employees sound robotic, and insensitive. As a customer, I would totally be turned off by this, and a lot of the customer comments from CIQ reflect my opinion on this.

Great people, can be fun and fast-moving

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, fast-paced, ever-evolving technology

Cons

You have to work hard; they do not tolerate poor performance. You need to be at the top of your game for anything management related, or in the mid-level professional realms. Metrics drive the business, and you are held accountable. If you are in a large market for them (Ohio or Western PA) the sky is the limit. Otherwise, be willing to relocate to an emerging or larger market.

There seems to be a lot of turnover in the HR Management areas in Pittsburgh. That is very concerning. Hire more direct employees and less contractors. Give more lead time for technology roll-outs and more comprehensive training for the procedure changes. Every time you release massive technology changes, it affects the flow of business. Focus on the employees more. Just because you offer great benefits does not mean it is a cure-all for stress-related morale issues. The pressure is unreal when you are a Corporate employee or even a Contractor anywhere outside of the Branch Operations. I would have stayed (most likely) had I been offered a permanent position, but instead my workload was sent elsewhere, which made absolutely no sense. When faced with losing a high-producing employee, the company chose to let me leave and never countered. I wasn't surprised by that at all, as it rarely ever happens that they try to hold on to people who are good at what they do. It's a great company in a lot of ways, but I think the sheer size of them has become problematic in a lot of ways where the employees are concerned. The culture needs to be examined more closely than it has been before.

There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group