It was an absolutely fantastic experience!

Former Employee - Commercial Banking Intern  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
Former Employee - Commercial Banking Intern in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked for. PNC offered a great culture that allows for endless potential in career growth.

Cons

I felt there was not always enough work to do. I would have enjoyed being exposed to more analytical

Other Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

PNC offers terrific training and encourages strong employee growth but has internal communication problems.

Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant  in  Denton, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Denton, MD (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training, very tolerable hours and scheduling, great employees throughout, superb work/life balance focus, solid products and services

Cons

Low pay for the industry (not competitive at all with other banks), many internal communication problems that end up creating struggles for customers, slow response time on service requests (ranging from client services assistance to branch maintenance)

Work to improve communications with business partners to avoid pitfalls that hurt everyone

Generally a mediocre experience thus far with hope for a better future.

Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The benefits package is decent (not "great").
    -The opportunity for advancement DOES exist. I received my first promotion in less than the year they initially tell you that you need to be in a position to consideration for moving upward.
    -The organization is growing rapidly, and it's exciting to be part of what WILL be the nation's largest bank within a decade.
    -Lateral transfers are relatively easy to secure.
    -The organization is very progressive with respect to the benefits offered for LGBT individuals and our domestic partners.
    -The computer-based training and on-site training are both very informative.
    -The organization is very "green".
    -PNC is very committed to helping Pittsburgh achieve greatness in its latest renaissance; our new Downtown tower will really help to jump-start even more retail and housing growth there.
    -Many branch managers (not all) seem to be very effective in their roles and are great at engaging their teams.
    -I have great faith in the leadership capabilities of Jim Rohr and most other executives as we strive to make PNC a household name from Portland, ME to Portland, OR in the coming years.
    -We enjoy roughly 50% market share dominance in Pittsburgh, our home market.

Cons

-The salaries paid are below-average relative to other financial institutions, which encourages talent to jump ship to competitors once they have been well-groomed. Pittsburgh isn't THAT "dirt cheap" anymore.
    -Your vacation days don't roll over, yet you're not paid for them AND you often aren't able to take the time off given due to scheduling conflicts and staff shortages. Why even give us vacation time at all?
    -Requiring a branch to have an overall Gallup score of 4.87/5.00 in order for employees to share in a mediocre bonus is very Draconian. If a client is having a rough day or is just unhappy with PNC in general due to prior problems with other associates/branches they may give you a less than favorable ranking, and you are lambasted for this, even if you provided examplary service.
    -Instead of focusing on helping you to capitalize upon your strengths your weaknesses are magnified, and you are made to feel woefully inadequate. If I'm excellent at securing investment referrals but awful at generating successful loan business while my colleague is the inverse then why not prime us to each capitalize upon our respective strengths for the betterment of the branch to help EMPOWER us instead of making us feel worthless?
    -You are not given breaks and are often pressured to work through part of and/or interrupt your half-hour lunches to service clients so that they won't get mad about being in line and hurt our C.I.Q. scores, thereby making you look badly as an employee and ruining your chance at the quarterly C.I.Q. bonus. When you work a 9- or 10-hour day of non-stop sales that can be very draining.
    -Working Saturdays at other branches where the existing clientele resents you for not being a "regular" bank employee is never a pleasant experience.
    -You can't take computer-based training courses from home, and I can't focus on them at work when I'm interrupted by clients coming into the branch and walking up to my window every 30 seconds to get change for the parking meters.
    -It wasn't clearly-communicated to me that "cold-calling" was an active part of this role. I can sell anything to someone seated in front of me, but calling someone at random and having to engage them is something that's always made me feel very uneasy.

Stop treating your employees as if we should be "grateful we have a job given the economy". You should be grateful to have US working hard to try to generate sales, enhance your bottom line, and recruit new business. Instead of paying us $20,000/year, not giving us breaks, making us feel guilty about taking vacation time, pressuring us to drop our PPOs in favor of a HDHP with a HSA to save money for you, etc. why not show us a bit of love every now and then? I love the organization overall, but I feel as if that love isn't reciprocated, which hurts inside. It really does.

There are newer employer reviews for PNC Financial Services Group.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!