Life-changing experience in Costa Rica

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

My time at Peace Corps was the most formative of my life so far. I ended up serving for four years (extending my service twice), and went on to work as a campus representative at my university.

Cons

This experience is not for everybody. Somebody that requires a lot of direction/supervision would probably not do very well in the Peace Corps. There are many opportunities, but it takes initiative to make them come to fruition.

Other Reviews for Peace Corps

A great-if difficult--experience

Former Employee - Volunteer  in  Bashtanka (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Bashtanka (Ukraine)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Service in the Peace Corps allows you to gain a relatively deep understanding of life in a less-resourced country and, as an overall intense experience, can spur tremendous personal and professional growth. Peace Corps provides a time-tested, well-developed (but admittedly imperfect) operational and social support structure for doing this.

Cons

It isn't always easy--often far from it, in fact--adapting simultaneously to an alien culture and language and job, far from family and friends at home and, once you finish your 3-month training and set off to your permanent site, far (to a greater or lesser degree depending on your country) from your fellow volunteers.

None

Challenge, Adventure, Awesome, Never experience anything like it.

Former Employee - Agriculture and Rural Business Development Consultant  in  Leova (Moldova)
    Former Employee - Agriculture and Rural Business Development Consultant in Leova (Moldova)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an adventure of a life time.

Noncompetitive status only helps if your extremely qualified.

Cons

Can get VERY lonely at your permanent site.

Volunteers should be treated like adults.

There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!