Over staffed for seasonal means no hours for part-time newbies.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pasadena, CA (US)
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very fun environment especially if you are into home accessories. Co-workers and managers were easy to work with.

Cons

Not good if you can't stand around for 8 hours even when it's a slow day, you have to keep pushing the newsletter on people which isn't too bad. Played unfair favorites in my case my co-worker felt cheated of employee of the quarter several times.

Other Reviews for Pier 1 Imports

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lexington, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington, KY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Pier 1 Imports grants you the occasional (and limited) creative freedom when assembling displays.

Cons

I loathed my time spent at Pier 1 Imports. The management refused to hire anyone that was actually physically capable of doing the very heavy lifting that the job requires. The entirety of the floor staff was composed of petite college-aged women and senior citizens; neither group was wholly capable of unloading couches, dressers, dining room tables, etc. The pay was absolutely paltry. All sales associates started at exactly minimum wage, with "raises" (of up to a whopping $0.10) being available (upon a glowing performance review) once every consecutive year. There was also pressure, bordering on harassment, to talk customers into signing up for the Pier 1 credit card. Furthermore, the tone of all instructional material distributed by the company was wildly sexist. All customers are referred only as "she" or "her" in Pier 1 literature. The only time I saw the mention of "he" or "him" was in a leaflet discussing what a mother should buy for her son going off to college. (There were no female-oriented dorm items shown, either.)

It was an excellent opportunity to grow my customer service and communication skills.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The retail environment is one that fosters growth in superb customer service. Every customer who walks in the door is acknowledged, and as an associate, one's duty is to meet their needs. The Pier 1 experience for employees is one of satisfaction for serving customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, the room for growth is relative to the store size. Upper management is not focused enough on growing their retail employees in terms of rank; only in terms of service to the customer.

It would be beneficial to the retail employees who want to advance with the company if management would acknowledge their employees in this regard, and take the necessary steps to foster that kind of growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Pier 1 Imports.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!