Public Consulting Group

www.publicconsultinggroup.com
  www.publicconsultinggroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group

A demanding/hard employer; for the select few who have the stamina, skills, and commitment, supremely rewarding

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

there is no limit to career growth opportunities. If you are committed to delivering high quality service to the public sector, and are a consistently high performer i.e. execute assignments on time, of a high quality and within budget; put the clients needs ahead of anything else, are respectful of your clients, peers and the community in which you work, you will succeed here. This place has grown annually by double digit percentages for each of the past 15+ years. That would not have occurred if the marketplace did not regard PCG as a high quality deliverer of business solutions. That consistent groth allows all PCG employees the opportunity to be successful in a satisfying career.

Cons

There are flaws here, however, staff are empowered to suggest and help implement changes to improve the environment. The time reporting, knowledge management system is very difficult to navigate. There needs to be more diversity in the management team. Collaboration across pratice areas occasionally creates tension with regard to project "ownership".

Bring more women and minorities into the management team. The firm management needs to better reflect the markets that it serves

131 Other Employee Reviews for Public Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

PCG has its issues but its not beyond saving.

Current Employee - Technical Specialist III
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist III

I have been working at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PCG has given me a lot of flexibility in where and how I work, in the projects I'm involved in. There's a lot going on, and if you've got motivation, and can politic a bit, you can get involved in a lot of different things.

Cons

Each dev house seems to be a silo. They don't communicate with one another, and different rules and standards apply to different offices. In Montreal, you have a Win7/whatever-the-latest-thing-from-microsoft house. In other dev offices, ITS limits hardware and software to windowsXP or 2003. There's no consistency.

Consultants drive the business, but often with unrealistic requirements/expectations, and without communication of a bigger picture. This leads to a lot of one-off solutions that are largely redundant.

There's no real communication from the top-down. The company expects you to tow the PCG line and have the cult-of-pcg mentality, but they don't inspire or encourage the way you have to in order to foster that environment.

There is no real communication from the top-donw.

Share the love. The company is profitable in spite of itself. Reward good people. Hire good people. Don't hate on individuals because they don't tow the line. Don't sideline people because of who they've been associated with. We've got a lot of people, and some of us have good ideas.

High demands and Low contract bids = Overworked and unhappy people.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Public Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You may have a lot of flexibility and independence
    Good and high performers will get generous bonuses
    Higher 401k matches than many of the big 4 ( if you can stick out the 4 year vesting req.)

Cons

There aren't many company methodologies to follow.
    Information sharing is poor. As a result, we are always recreating the wheel.
    Smaller to medium sized Projects are underbid and staff are over worked as a result.
    Internal Support (IT, HR) is very poor. Marketing is non existent.
    The promotion process is unclear .
    Salaries are not competitive.
    Work - life balance. What's that?

Many of to your "seasoned" managers are not qualified to lead. Pay more attention to what managers are doing Or not doing.
    Develop a fair way to promote and recognize staff that convert from the specialist track to the consulting track.
    Develop more overall firm standards. It's not a boutique firm anymore, there needs to be more structure.
    When staff get together from satellite offices we have equally low morale and we all complain about the same thing. Figure out how to refocus that into constructive conversations for real change.

There are newer employer reviews for Public Consulting Group