A really mindless job

Former Employee - Cashier in Pompano Beach, FL (US)
Former Employee - Cashier in Pompano Beach, FL (US)

I worked at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to interact with some great customers.

Cons

The management varies greatly from store to store

reviews filtered by
  1. Easy job but drama

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Set Breaks 30 mins to hour and 15 mins
    Easy Job
    Change your availability to whatever you want but could effect your hours

Cons

Changing policies of coupons makes customers upset and hard on the cashier
    Lazy co workers, con if you're not lazy but if you are then you can easily get away with being lazy
    People in higher positions treat people below like they are nothing
    No discounts
    They BS you on evaluations because they don't want to give out a raise if your pay is higher than most cashiers but someone who has horrible job performance will get a raise because they make less than you.

Advice to Management

Give more respect to the people who actually work hard instead of the ones who are your friends

A nice place to work at first..

Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Staff in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Publix is a great place to work if you're either in high school or planning on moving up into management. I started $1 above minimum wage and received a raise on my 90 day review and every review after that ( I think 2 reviews a year.) They have very flexible scheduling which is great if you go to school and a thorough training process so after a couple weeks you should know everything you need to for your job. Most of the people I worked with were very friendly and always willing to help me out if I needed it. There is also an "open door" policy in case you have any problems at work (most managers are always willing to hear you out.) There is also a very high regard to customer service which usually leaves you with happy customers who are easy to deal with, even if a mistake is made. It's also easy to move up if you show the initiative, I started as a bagger (customer service clerk) and after a year moved up to cashier, then to customer service staff (the associates behind the counter.) This is about the highest position possible if you do not want to work in a full time position.

Cons

While the pay was good, the benefits were almost impossible to get. When I first started there I think the requirement for benefits (such as health, dental, and vision) was a minimum of 28 hours per week average and everyone was averaging between 30-35 hours. After a year or two the minimum requirement was around 32 and everyone was averaging about 20-28 hours. All the while they continued to boast about how they're one of the top 50 companies to work for and how great their benefits are. If you complained about your hours they would only say to 'open your availability' (I even caught my manager almost say this before he caught himself because I had just opened mine to 7 days, open to close...) The management plays favorites with scheduling hours to part timers. I was always lucky to be on their good side so I averaged decently (around 28-30 hours) but some people would be getting 10-15.

They also play favorites with who they promote, especially to full time which was almost impossible to get at both the stores I worked in. Several times I saw very good employees get screwed by management when they promoted somebody else who was less qualified who would spend all day sucking up to them. I don't really blame them because this is how you have to play if you want to succeed here. I had to suck up to get my promotion and to get my hours but it's the only way.

While these reasons were enough to make me want to leave, there were two reasons why I finally left. Publix has a very conservative dress code. For men this means no beards, hair off the collar and above your ears, black slacks (which gets very hot when doing carts), no piercings, only naturally colored hair, polishable shoes, and you always have to smile. (I was once threatened by my store manager that if I didn't start smiling more I would be suspended!) Several parts of this dress code dictate how you can look outside of work. The reason why I quit on the spot was due to a lack of communication in my store. The last year I worked there the office was going through several changes, most of which we didn't know about until someone was written up for not complying. This caused several people in the office to become uneasy about closing and opening the cash office, always afraid that they would break an unmentioned change in procedure.

I would recommend this job to someone who is in high school and wants an employer who will work around their class schedule and look good on a resume. I would also recommend it to someone who wants to work their way up by any means necessary to a 50-60+ hour a week position. I have seen some people go from stocking shelves to assistant store manager in just under four years. But if you want a job that treats you fairly and/or provides you with opportunities to advance by working hard and not just sucking up you should look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about how much greater you are than Windixie