Raven Industries

www.ravenind.com
  www.ravenind.com
There are newer employer reviews for Raven Industries

Review

Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

If you are about to retire, this is the company for you.There is not a lot opportunity due to the fact of it being a company that is already matured. Company values experience, over skills.

Cons

Company doesn't follow it's open door policy. Command hierarchy, makes it difficult to advance in career. Very "Political" company, since they tend not to live up to their promises.

management anonymous review.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Raven Industries (View Most Recent)

One of Sioux Fall's best

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Top notch organization. The benefits that are offered are very competitive within the Sioux Falls market and in most cases less expensive than a majority of SF employers. Competitive in terms of salary. Generous in terms of policies and procedures. Exciting in terms of the products we produce. Relaxed and extremely open, friendly environment. I love it!!

Cons

I believe the Leaders at Raven have the best intentions but have a difficult time executing. Raven is not the "technology" company they claim to be but I believe they are trying to move in that direction. Raven may be notorious for "lay-offs" but in reality, it's temporary employees whose assignment has ended. The biggest draw back might be the cyclical nature of the business. But in reality isn't this true of many manufacturing companies, that to single Raven out would not be fair.

Dan and his team of leaders need to be one step ahead. Where are the creative minds that will take Raven to the next level. Stop waiting....take a leap of faith.....become the industry leader that you claim us to be.

Micromanagement Causes Great Challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven makes great products with a great purpose and we are headquartered in a great community. These products are made in diversified industries which in theory should help maintain stability for employees across the organization.

Cons

Executive management is VERY short sighted and completely reactive. Leaders should be looking out farther than the next quarterly report. This desire to "hit the number" has most employees at EVERY level looking over their shoulder instead of focusing on producing. During tough times, I would expect a company with a good balance sheet showing no debt and plenty of cash to focus on their products, customers, and employees instead of how many people to fire to help the earnings report in the next quarter.

Stop micromanaging the short term chaos, manage the long term opportunities. Invest in growth opportunities now that will pay dividends when the market returns, its that old saying "buy low and sell high". You have an excellent rainy day fund, now is the time to invest in the companies future, not erode your teams confidence.
    If you need to reduce costs, be open and up front with your employees. Offer early retirement, attractive severance packages to those willing to accept them. After this, then you cut only were necessary for a 2-3 year outlook, not 3-6 months. What you have done with multiple layoffs in 2014 at all levels throughout the company has destroyed morale and productivity. I fear it is a matter of time until the culture of this great company is destroyed by infighting as everyone tries to save their job at the expense of the greater company good.

There are newer employer reviews for Raven Industries