There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Excellent place to start

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer I in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

-Compensation
-Benefits package
-Work/life balance
-Cool factor of some of the work
-Opportunity to move within the company
-Nice people

Cons

-Older people
-Bureaucratic structure
-Long life cycle of projects
-Old school managers
-Compartmentalized structure
-Work pace varies from time to time

Management seems to be divided into two camps. There are the old school guys and the guys that understand what young employees are looking for.

1447 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Not as it seems from the outside looking in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McKinney, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

I was rpoud of the work we did - protecting hte warfighter. I worked with some of the most talented people I've ever worked with.

Cons

The top executive is unprofessional, holds grudges and is vindictive. The rest of the exec mgmt is either like him or is afraid of him.

This advice is to the CEO - look at the "leadership" styles of your business units' management. Don't just look at the financials.

Micromanagement and metrics rule

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Fairly liberal in accomodating needs, good pay, flexible schedule, opportunities for growth, stable work, multiple locations so you can live almost anywhere in the greater Boston area and work here.

Cons

Matrix organization results in multiple bosses all wanting highlights, financial status, plans, metrics, and presentations. In fact the reporting and financial control process takes up more time than the work. Limited training due to overhead budget contraints, no formal new hire mentoring and training. Extremely limited professional development opportunities due to low overhead budgets. Every high performer is overloaded with work, and there skaters do nothing but are rewarded due to politics.

Get a handle on middle management. There are too many and they make work for the rest of the team. Too many procedures, processes and work instructions. Too much emphasis on RBI (Results Based Incentives, AKA bonuses) resulting in overworking the people constantly. Working here used to be fun, not anymore.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!