There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins

Good company, needs to revisit complexity and usefulness of processes

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good salary and benefits

Cons

Rigid processes that are often times overkill and don't add value to the end product. Development process not efficient, allowing teams to get new products to market faster

Hire people to manage your schedules and budgets, use your Lead Engineers to make the product better instead of performing administrative work and focusing on technical issues second

644 Other Employee Reviews for Rockwell Collins (View Most Recent)

Once Very Good, Now Not So Much

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is possible to learn quite a bit here and have the opportunity to work on some very special programs. When you do complete a project, it can be a very rewarding feeling. When I started at this company, it was the first time I felt like I could be working for my last employer in my life.

Cons

This company suffers from making good and even great engineers into managers. As managers, they tend to be very poor and morale suffers accordingly. Some managers are permitted to simply bully employees in ways that would never be permitted if their leadership observed it. Unfortunately, managers at the Richardson, TX campus rarely suffer any real scrutiny by their superiors from Cedar Rapids. Every successful project witnessed was run by a project manager and every unsuccessful project witnessed was run by some poor engineer told to be a project manager. The magic is over and I see this company headed downwards with an exceptional emphasis on making sure that we meet or beat stock market expectations.

Let great engineers be great engineers. Help them find a career path that lets them expand upon being great engineers. Hire good managers and stop making successful engineers into bad managers. It isn't a reward and many good engineers have been lost this way. Use more project managers and stop making junior engineers into project managers.

I've work for rockwell collins as a systems engineer for 5 years

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tustin, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tustin, CA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

paid vacation, tuition, good location

Cons

typical corporate management, limited growth

There are newer employer reviews for Rockwell Collins