SAIC

www.saic.com

Flexible workplace, salary not so good for younger workers

Java Developer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA (US)

ProsVery flexible work place (this is really up to my division - not the company as a whole).
Good benefits.

ConsPoor salaries for newer / younger employees. Times were much better in the years before the company went public, and the raises the older workers got were MUCH higher. Therefore, there is now a de-facto two-tier pay system - one for those there before the company went public, and one for those who began their career afterwards. The older employers make a good 30% premium all other things remaining equal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart working on removing some of the dead weight in middle management and the large amount of poor performers who've been feeding at the trough since 911 bonanza began ten years ago. Many of these workers do not carry their weight, and are becoming a burden on those that perform.

SAIC (and all the other big miliatary / government contractors) are going to run into trouble as the technical talent moves to smaller / younger companies where they're not required to subsidize the large salaries and expensive health bennies of the older workers.

Company is going downhill...and it's not just the stock price

I have been working at SAIC

Pros: - High quality Employees - Interesting work - Promotes social responsibility… Cons: - Says "people first" but doesn't follow through - Insular management at higher levels, with a good deal of "do as I say..." - Obsession with making… Advice to Senior Management: Hold senior leaders accountable for bad results. Enforce policies uniformly at ALL levels (e.g., if rank and file can't use iPads due to security reasons,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Underwhelming--Poor management at certain satellite divisions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at SAIC

Pros: The benefits--medical, dental, leave--are decent in my division. However, for… Cons: In my division, there is a culture of heavy office politics, which is partly due to a trickle-down effect from the government agency we support.… Advice to Senior Management: Try to be in touch with your employees' needs. Something as simple as upgrading coffee machines,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on SAIC.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!