SMS Management & Technology

www.smsmt.com

Some perspective from a current employee (Steve Scicluna)

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsI've read some of the other reviews here, so I thought I'd put in my unsolicited feedback from someone who's been in SMS for 13 years, and not planning to leave any time soon. And I'm putting my name to this because I believe in standing by what I say without standing behind an anonymous identity.

The best thing about SMS is that you're treated like an adult in return for being expected to behave like an adult. This means that considerable opportunities to develop yourself exist, but they're not going to be handed to you on a plate if you think you'll get along by being a passive recipient.

In 13 years, I've been on 20+ engagements with 10+ clients, in the ICT, banking and energy utility industries and federal, state and local government. Some of these engagements have been absolutely fantastic. Some were crap. Some were long. Some were short. All were learnign experiences. All were finite. None of them required me to drink their Kool-Aid, wear the company shirt or sing the company song. I was there to get a job done and get it done well. I wasn't there to position myself for my next promotion or jockey for position in the internal politics of the organisation. If I wanted out, I didn't have to resign. All I had to do was finish the job I was doing. This is an incredibly empowering experience, and has always allowed me to provide frank and fearless advice, backed by facts (however unpleasant) to my clients. It doesn't mean the advice was always accepted, but it was most of the time, and at the end of the day, it's the client's business.

These engagements have covered project management, business analysis, enterprise architecture and planning roles in both fixed-price/duration engagements as well as time & materials engagement.

My work/life balance is good. When it isn't, it's usually just short-term peak workloads that I work through, as any professional would.

When I've been in a client organisation for long enough, I've always been able to call this out and arrange a handover to a colleague at a natural transition point e.g. end of a project phase, beginning of another.

If you're out billing and you really want to be left alone and just not engage, you can be. You will have plenty of opportunities to connect to your SMS colleagues via various professionala nd social forums, but you don't have to. The flipside of this is that if you choose not to connect, you can't really complain about being disconnected. That's what I mean about being treated like an adult in return for being expected to behave like an adult.

ConsI've been around for 13 years, so the cons haven't been sufficiently important to me to warrant leaving, even though I've been approached a number of times by clients and former clients. I think I'm paid fairly and well. I could probably earn more elsewhere, but at a cost to how I like to work, and quite probably my work/life balance.

I've seen other posts here about the pay. Well, when we have people resign, most of them go to client organisations or go contracting. Client organisations may offer lucrative financial inducements, but you've got to take a deeper, more personal stake in the organisation - you've got to wear the company shirt, sing the company song and drink their Kool-Aid. You'll also find yourself positioning for that next promotion or jockeying for position in internal politics. That's fine. Some people like that. I don't.

Not a lot of our people go to other consulting firms. Make of that what you will.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonally, I'd like to see a stronger link between performance and reward/remuneration. I'd rather a smaller number of people get larger bonuses. Otherwise, call the bonus scheme a profit share scheme.

Second tier consultancy

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

I have been working at SMS Management & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good opportunity to get exposure to a variety of industries Cons: The place is essentially a body shop, while there are some fixed price projects these are essentially pretty thin on the ground. They place… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of the 'flat structure' No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Its almost like a body shop

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

Pros: Lots of brilliant people hired, extremely talented and very experienced Cons: Does not quite take care of a consultants career aspiration well. Been on a project way too long and not… Advice to Senior Management: Feels like a body shop No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on SMS Management & Technology.

Worked for SMS Management & Technology? Contribute to the Community!