A good company but change may not be for everyone

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

SRA International is a company with a strong focus on fairness, work/life balance, and education. The people are first class and come from all types of backgrounds. I cannot stress the level of equality and fairness this company shows people. It is a company that firmly backs its people and will do its utmost (in addition to the employee) to take care of its people. Perhaps the best thing about SRA is its people. Generally, management is easy to speak with and reason from top-to-bottom in organizational hierarchy. For new college graduates seeking a chance to move around in their career, this is mid-size company that makes educational opportunities and career transitions readily available. There are many benefits but some of which may need to be reexamined periodically to stay current.

Cons

Perhaps the main downside of working with SRA is compensation. They are neither the best nor the worst in the compensation area. In the past, salary raises were due on an employee's anniversary of hire. Now, the company has shifted to a single dated annual cycle to follow a "bell-curve" salary raise system. Only time will tell but the skepticism has been pointed out that this may not allow for employees with exceptionally well performances to be compensated as such. In fact, comparing salaries across other companies on average, SRA seems to have fallen behind regarding market compensation. From experience, living in an area where professionals with upside are highly regarded in specialized fields, it may be tough for SRA to change its compensation structure because of its current size and direction. It has a new CEO, new management, and a great deal of change and currently may go fast in either the right or wrong direction. Unfortunately, only time will tell.

Another issue would be proper career direction. It is imperative that regardless of your company's mold, structure, or requirements that you shape your career accordingly. Before now, career development was mainly a task spearheaded individually. Currently, the company is going through a career development process to help employees reach milestones that define their level of position. This will require both years of experience as well as specific qualifications which may hinder compensation for younger, motivated professionals.

Senior management for myself have been outstanding. Senior management has never been a problem for myself at SRA. As a matter of fact, SRA has never been a problem for myself. Management does as much as they can to keep confidence in their employees and while nobody is perfect, they tend to be pretty reasonable.

Other Reviews for SRA International

Nice place to work 2003-2006

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at SRA International

Pros

Well organized when I worked there and the benefits are good.

Cons

I was not being compensated the common market value for my position based upon my credentials.

If you want to retain dedicated honest reliable employees, make sure to carefully watch the market in order to keep up with compensation trends.

Very good, diverse people with limited upside

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at SRA International

Pros

Good work-life balance, decent if not exceptional compensation, talented, outgoing and for the most part enthusiastic young people to work with, corporate depth of knowledge and experience in technical areas make for a good career experience

Cons

no obvious career development, internal opportunities not well networked. There is a push to be more like Lockheed, from the new CEO; the direction through acquisition is toward a massive technical placement firm with no focus on individual career development

Stick to your word and give employees an opportunity to develop competencies that does not have to occur on their own time.

There are newer employer reviews for SRA International.

Worked for SRA International? Contribute to the Community!