There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway has always done well with the benefits offered to the employees. Continuing to do so has been a benefit to all. What Steve Burd is doing with our health care benefits is fantastic. He is offering those that lead a healthy lifestyle a lower insurance premium. It's an innovative notion. The work life balance is good with Safeway. Upper management (at least those I've worked for) are very good about allowing that balance.

Cons

Occassionally long hours and the negative attitudes of some management personnel.

Keep doing what you are doing. Just keep in mind that we are all people and need to operate the business.

1159 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Safeway...Where everybody knows your name

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway

Pros

They are very fair with their employees. I had been working at Safeway now for 2 years. The management has always been helpful in helping me reach my potential. I started out as courtesy clerk at a local competitor. I had been at that location for approx. 5 years. When I returned from college for the summer cutbacks were taking place and I the store did not have a place for me. I then went to Safeway in the hopes I could receive a job. They did. I am so thankful for them giving me the opportunity that they have given me. The pay is great and the management is even better

Cons

It is a grocery store...I really do not like the undercover shoppers that come in and critique us

Continue doing what you are doing

Thank you for working at Safeway!

Current Employee - IT - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - IT - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Offers a good work / life balance in general. Still offers a (cash balance) pension for corporate employees. Currently offers discounts on corporate brand items in the stores. Access to the excellent corporate fitness center. Free samples on Wednesdays!

Cons

Large organization and some "red tape" can make it difficult at times to get work done. IT Department does not seem to have clearly defined career development paths. While Safeway's compensation and benefits for IT employees may be competitive with other large retail companies, it may not compare so favorably with many of the large technology companies in near by Silicon Valley.

Review IT salaries on a more regional scale and invest more in employee development.

There are newer employer reviews for Safeway