There are newer employer reviews for Safeway

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Safeway has always done well with the benefits offered to the employees. Continuing to do so has been a benefit to all. What Steve Burd is doing with our health care benefits is fantastic. He is offering those that lead a healthy lifestyle a lower insurance premium. It's an innovative notion. The work life balance is good with Safeway. Upper management (at least those I've worked for) are very good about allowing that balance.

Cons

Occassionally long hours and the negative attitudes of some management personnel.

Keep doing what you are doing. Just keep in mind that we are all people and need to operate the business.

1172 Other Employee Reviews for Safeway (View Most Recent)

Safeway...Where everybody knows your name

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway

Pros

They are very fair with their employees. I had been working at Safeway now for 2 years. The management has always been helpful in helping me reach my potential. I started out as courtesy clerk at a local competitor. I had been at that location for approx. 5 years. When I returned from college for the summer cutbacks were taking place and I the store did not have a place for me. I then went to Safeway in the hopes I could receive a job. They did. I am so thankful for them giving me the opportunity that they have given me. The pay is great and the management is even better

Cons

It is a grocery store...I really do not like the undercover shoppers that come in and critique us

Continue doing what you are doing

Young employees look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

A well known and appreciated company. You will certainly get job security, but it may come at the cost of enhancing your skills or ability to market yourself to other employers. As far a grocers go. Safeway IS an innovator, so that is good.

Cons

Little to no opportunity to enhance or expand your skills. You feel pigeonholed without much opportunity to lean new skills or do anything truly interesting. Granted Safeway is a large company and there are certainly groups within it where this will not be the case. There is a lot of politics the further up you go because upper management (and there is a lot of it) makes huge $$.

Think younger.