rewarding, ambitious, work long hours.

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Engineer II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Samsung is one of the top electronics companies in the world. There's constantly new technology devices, so you get to be a part of the next big thing to hit the news in several months. The pay is very reasonable and the bonuses are pretty amazing nowadays! Top health benefits and unmatched 401K matching.

Cons

The expectations are very high! You work long hours. Work-Life balance needs improvement though it depends which department you work in and recently it has gotten a lot better than 5 years ago. Being a manufacturing facility, the mindset is different as if you were part of the actual device development or R&D department. Also, it takes time to move up in the company. It's more determined how long you've been there rather than your credentials and work performance.

Communication is key. Acknowledge your peers and positive attitude will be maintained.

Other Reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Engineer II

I worked at Samsung Austin Semiconductor

Pros

Co-workers are certainly the best part, and it's why I lasted as long as I did. Most engineers are very smart and looking to help the company in any way possible. There is a strong bond among the engineers who all seem to come together to fantasize about other job opportunities. The work is there and can be very rewarding if you are allowed to work on what you want. Unfortunately that is almost never the case. I was fortunate to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met, but they all left and I was left holding the steaming pile.

Cons

Management is bad and getting worse. As many people leave, management has no option except to promote people who are unqualified for the position they are forced to accept. It's not about the quality of work you do, but more about the hours you spend showing your face around the office.

Advice, don't work here if you think you have good ideas and can make a positive difference. You will be left feeling very frustrated when you find out you can't change Samsung.

Stop micromanaging and trust your employees to do the right thing. Spend more time getting buy in from the people who work for you instead of dictating every little detail. Look around the world, dictatorships fail. If you get people to buy in to an idea, they will be much more willing to work for you.

Samsung: Terrible Morale/No Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Austin Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. We all sympathize for each other because Samsung sucks. Give it some time and you'll see what I'm saying.

Cons

Computer systems and SOPs are buggy and time consuming to work-around and/or fix. Engineers end up spending most of their time on issues like this and not on real engineering. They eventually quit when they realize that the longer they stay at Samsung the less marketable they become. There is a huge communication gap between the engineers that work on the front line and management. Most trainers have a sink or swim mentality especially when there is no time for training which is most of the time during ramp ups. My advice: DO NOT WORK IN UNIT PARTS. Work for YE, EHS, QA or Facilities or better yet work for a BETTER RATED COMPANY

TRs: Be realistic and think long-term. Don't just give your employees work that is impossible to accomplish and then tell them they can do it in "10 minutes."

Stop beating down on your engineers. We are smart hardworking people with engineering degrees that can often walk right out the door. That's what I did.

Senior Management: Make training and fixing the bugs a priority. Don't just push for trainees to sign tasks off by deadlines. Push the trainers to train in a quality way!!! Push for a work balance. It's worth it in the end. This way you won't lose your experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Samsung Austin Semiconductor.

Worked for Samsung Austin Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!