There are newer employer reviews for Seattle Genetics

It's an ok place to work, but there are much better biotechs in Seattle.

Current Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Research Associate in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Seattle Genetics

Pros

The people. And really that's it.

Cons

They don't hire people who are intelligent very often. They definitely go for grades over common sense.

Grades aren't as important as someone who can do the job. Don't ask someone who is very qualified what their GPA was when they've been out of college and proven themselves for over a year. You short the rest of us here when you do that.

16 Other Employee Reviews for Seattle Genetics (View Most Recent)

hyper caffeinated managers can ruin your life

I worked at Seattle Genetics

Pros

nice people, great product line

Cons

too small, at the mercy of vendors

people who are legendary for being 'demanding' or 'aggressive' need to be kept in check. Supervisors who are under constant untreated stress need to be made aware that they can damage the culture with their behavior.

Great people and excellent potential for future growth

I worked at Seattle Genetics full-time

Pros

All company meetings every Friday are a nice way to learn what's happening in different areas and it's nice to see the president on a weekly basis. It helps keep the small biotech feeling that most people in this industry can appreciate. Pay was fair and seemed within the range of other local biotech. Benefits include stock options and ok health/dental plan.

Cons

Some managers do not have the right skill set to manage others and it seems like once they reach the Director level, they aren't held accountable to anyone for their actions. This leads to mass exodus of employees under one leader. I don't think this is anything specific to Seagen, but make sure you get a good feeling for management style before you accept a position. I wasfortunate to have an amazing Director, but I saw several good people leave due to poor communication/relationships with their manager.

Continue to empower your employees to make decisions and support them when it is the best decision for the science and the company. We appreciate having autonomy (if earned) and use positive reinforcement - employees don't want to just get the nasty grams when they have missed a timeline or objective measure. This type of negative reinforcement will only breed the behavior of people performing just enough to avoid reprimand.

There are newer employer reviews for Seattle Genetics