Slalom Consulting

www.slalom.com
  www.slalom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting

Good meets Bad; Good Company, Bright People, Networking Opportunities; Long-term Dead End for Most Though?

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

Slalom offers a "career path" though it is very immature at this time. Will be interesting to see how well it is rolled out and utilized over the next two years.

Slalom is growing fast, achieving a steady CAGR and is striking a good balance investment in growth and maintenance of the bottom-line.

Slalom is starting to push for more team-based work opportunities and is focusing on being more of a strategic partner to their clients instead of just filling staffing needs. Though the direction seems proper, the company is still selling WAY TOO MUCH staff augmentation (and calling it strategic project work) and this will hurt them in the long-run if it continues.

All local-based work, and even travel-based work (only if you want, they won't typically force you to travel). A lot of local travel, though if your background is that of a traveling consultant, this might be the change you are looking for. Don't leave your current job just because of this though.

There always seems to be something going on. This is one of the benefits. There seems to be a good sense of team, community and being part of the Chicago community. From special events to your typical happy hour, Slalom is an active company.

Much like Accenture, Deloitte, etc. having the Slalom name on your resume will likely afford you some future respect if the companies continues to maintain growth and marketing efforts... as well as making clients happy!

Cons

Small company, so finding the right niche and place in the company should be easier, though this is not promised. I know people trying to make career adjustments who are not being taken serious at all. Some, over ttime, have had to leave just to find the adjustments they had been asking for

Benefit situation is no way on par with other consulting firms. 30+ days PTO down to 12 days. Make sure to include this in your compensation discussions.

Though work is local, it can be difficult to actually find work near your home. A lot of in-town travel can be required at times. (Still nice to sleep at home at night though)

Staffing needs often trump personal interest as well as experience - consultants are asked to do work outside their "tenured" experience. For hiring seasoned employees, doesn't provide clients the best value for their buck at times. This happens at all firms, but because Slalom is smaller, it can become more predominant problem here.

Be weary of recruiting salary / benefit information and do your math. If you are looking at Slalom coming from a bigger firm, your PTO and benefits are worth A LOT and you MUST factor that into your pay at Slalom, or they will LOW BALL you.

Take all opinions and comments about Slalom "with a grain of salt" so to say. Just like people who warned you of a certain professor, all experiences and situations are different. Really weigh your options and needs before you make a decision. Slalom is a great company, but like all growing companies, they need to balance many forces coming at them simultaneously. The Cons listed here represent a certain point of view, that overtime, could be subject to change.

Be more open... and not in a "strategy review" session type of way. Seems to be certain ways of doing things, that, if rippled in the slightest, cause major issues that take too much time/effort to babysit. With a growing company, certain processes need to be set, of course, but transparency along with an open attitude need to come strong as well.

402 Other Employee Reviews for Slalom Consulting (View Most Recent)

Staff aug firm more focused on marketing themselves than empowering/looking out for consultants

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting

Pros

•Strong financial records and growth in 2010

•They throw a big quarterly party. You get get some shrimp. Quite exciting.

Cons

• Largely your satisfaction will be decided by where you spend most your time, which is probably on the client's site. Slalom is all about selling selling selling. They have some good and some very poor clients. I did not see them end relationships with poor clients, merely cycle in new consultants at the time of renewal, despite knowing the were not healthy clientele.

• The leadership shares in the profits and has been there quite a while. Good luck making it into that echelon. Would take you 3 years to join in the profit sharing. Very cliquish and not open to discussing industry best practices and other forward thinking initiatives unless they originated the discussions. Some territorial and poor performers who should be cleaned out but never will because they bought into the company. Relatively frat house and male dominated in this way.

• Few high ranking women in positions other than sales and HR.

• Behind creative solutions offered by more robust consultancies.

• People leading teams who have never worked on the ground in the fields they manage over. This leads them to selling things they didn't understand and making promises they can't support.

• Benefits are truly mediocre at best. Vacation is less than competitors and people have left for this reason alone when they have families.

• 2011 has seen a lot of attrition as many of us left for better pay, companies where our voices would be heard, or places where managers functioned as more than just sales people and staffers.

• Company divisions are very territorial and none of the leaders to my knowledge are interested in taking on cross departmental initiatives.

• There was really no sense of team in our department. Everyone was out for themselves, and that tone comes from higher up.

• Their exit interviews are really engineered so they don't have to hear any constructive criticism. Was pretty funny.

• Think about the company as a whole not just the silo that reports to you and your bonus off direct reports.

• Understand what you are selling and when you don't, learn it or ask for help in creating your bids.

• Focus on other sources of revenue besides your top 5.

• When you give awards at the quarterly, attach some money or prizes to it. Not just a certificate. The company makes enough money to do so, and it seems odd not to do so.

• Offer better support to people who are staffed at very difficult clients.

• Create a system where bright new people can advance beyond mediocre people with tenure. Figure it out, or we leave to go work for place that offer us opportunities! And that is how your company loses market share and reputation, Slalom.

Enabling People to Utilize Their Full Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

I spent a long time with Accenture before joining Slalom Consulting. Coming from a Big 4 firm, I wanted to get away from the things that had begun to wear on me over time: overwhelming bureaucracy and controls, little to no input on my own staffing, political maneuvering, and increasingly less interesting work. I was looking for a place where I could move at my own pace, have the opportunity to do the kind of work I wanted to do (as opposed to what the firm wanted me to do), return to a more merit-based rewards system, have more of a say in my client engagements, have the ability to impact part of the business, and be able to work in a truly consultative model.

Slalom Consulting has provided all of this and more. Leadership encourages people to find their strengths, take risks and go after opportunities that you would not be able to pursue in larger, more controlled firms. I think that Slalom Consulting is a best-fit for consulting professionals who have figured out what they really want out of a job AND what they want out of a personal life. I have found that it is possible to enjoy both in equal measures.

Summary Pros:
     - Flexible Career Model
     - Great Social Events
     - Ability to Work with Clients in Your Local Community
     - No Forced Alignment to Industry Verticals

Cons

Internally, I think that Slalom Consulting could do a better job at communicating with its employees; maybe celebrating successes more. Additionally, PTO could be stronger; I lost some time coming from Accenture. I understand that the model is different and I no longer get on a plane every week, but still a bit more PTO would go a long way.

Summary Cons:
     - PTO is Average
     - 401k Match is Average
     - Training Budgets are Average

I think that leadership should consider the following - there aren't that many complaints, but fixing these would go a long way:
     - Add a week of PTO to compensate for sick days / be more competititve in the market
     - Eliminate the complexity around the current training model; just pay for time and/or increase training budget
     - Maybe boost benefits a tiny bit

There are newer employer reviews for Slalom Consulting