SoftLayer
www.softlayer.com Dallas, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology

Software Engineer I (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for less than a year

ProsReally awesome co-workers and free snacks (sodas, junk food, orange juice, etc)

ConsInterface team is forced to use the slow and horrible API which was built upon the horrible in-house ORM, resulting in a poor work environment, having to make too many design and user experience sacrifices, which results in a slow and sub-par product.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to be more vocal to upper management about the issues developers face. Issues are raised and even after 8 months there's no response.

Managers need to be more forceful and call out other teams on their crappy code instead of telling their own to find a way to work around major issues.

Very Poor Ethics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: There are some very good employees and middle managers. Opportunity to… Cons: If you enjoy being barked at, this is the place for you. Following our takeover of the Planet, the CEO passed out a copy… Advice to Senior Management: Learn that no one cares what you know - until… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good for starting out... but that's about it

Server Build Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at SoftLayer

Pros: 1) good learning environment 2) training modules to acclimate us to the types of issues… Cons: 1) pay was incredibly low. I came in with several years of experience, but was treated as if I was brand new, and was consistently… Advice to Senior Management: Be honest with the employees. If you promise people a set course for a promotion, don't turn it around and get mad at them for… More

There are newer reviews on SoftLayer.

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SoftLayer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SoftLayer CEO Lance Crosby. All reviews posted anonymously by SoftLayer employees.