There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Finance associate

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

You felt part of a family...fun, family, work hard.

Cons

Nothing bad to say here.

453 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Was there a long time and became more of a tool day by day, month by month.

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Trainer/Customer Service Superisor  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Trainer/Customer Service Superisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

travel benefits
    culture that was people friendly

Cons

becoming large like any big company began to loose treating people with individuality and became more and more focused on the bottom line. Not a bad thing but when you do it in lue of employees your ruin the focus and dis avow history.

stop hiring management that has not experience with the airline business and the culture of the company. Yes I know I am old school. And, change management is a process not a punch down take it or leave it approach. Most all airlines have died that way by the way.

Southwest...... a company on the way down.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I will say first and foremost the health/medical benefits are supreme. looking at the number of employees you can see why they get such a great deal. Having worked for other corporations the medical insurance with Southwest is very reasonably priced.
    I would say flight benefits....but it seems that every time you want to fly the flights fill up, If you like living out of a carry-on, can be flexible enough to change your travel plans and never really PLAN anything then the free flights are right up your alley. If you're like most folks who would at least like to reserve a hotel room in the city to which you are trying to fly.......prepare yourself to fly in the "off season". In that case be prepared for typhoons, hurricanes, and snow storms.
    I do however like the ability to fly non-revenue on other airlines, and at reduced rates internationally. There is something to be said for flying round trip from the USA to China for under $300.
    The pay - while the highest of the industry (so reported?) is still very dependant upon job and classification. I think they would do better to pay their lower and middle management a more competitive wage. The entry level pay seems low, but after a short time it increases rapidly.
    If dressing up for holidays (and halloween) is your thing, you will love this company. They do like to get into the season...whatever the season may be.
    Most of the people you work with will become lifelong friends, there is an environment that fosters care for each other. You will need to work together to meet or exceed goals.

Cons

I have seen way to many people get promoted to positions that FAR exceed thier skills and/or abilities. This is one of my biggest problems with Southwest & AirTran. Its all in who you know. It seems hard work and dedication is often overlooked, to get promoted you need to be a drinking buddy or college frat brother. Southwest is an analog airline in a digital age. I worked for Airtran until we were purchased by Southwest. Airtran was a much more "advanced" company from an IT/computer standpoint. Southwest is still handing out pencils and sharpners to its supervisors. Its a very "mother-may-I" system. Exceptional work ethic will only get you more hours to "prove" yourself worthy, while you watch slackers get away with fraud and get promoted before you because of my previous statement. If you every want to move up past the supervisor level, you will need to move to Dallas. Thats the part they dont tell you. If moving from where you currently live is not an option for you, plan on being a career supervisor.
    The touchy - feely positive employee atmosphere they talk about hides a very dark secret. Its only that way as long as you follow the plan (even if its wrong), as soon as you begin to think outside the box, or suggest ideas that actually make sense and work well in the industry and other large corporations you get treated very poorly, and all that warm and fuzzy goes away. You MUST drink the cool-aid to stay in good graces with upper management or face becoming an outsider.
    The unions - of which there are 11, while they may have thier place, be prepared to see people who make $20+ an hour and will not lift a finger to help thier co-workers, always get away with something and should have been fired years ago, every company has a few employees like this, but it seems Southwest breeds them! They are like a cancer on the organization. As such so much time is spent AND WASTED on issues that should be a non-issue for a company that has been in business for 40 years and now sits atop of the industry.
    Overtime....while we all like to work a little and make some extra cash, at some point it gets ludicris to force your staff to work mandatory overtime because of staffing and call-out issues. Everyone knows there is a problem but upper management will not force change to correct it. Its actually hard to get fired...unless you just dont come to work. Then if that happens, just call your shop steward and we'll see you back at work in a week.
    Instead of empowering the workforce to cross-train, and cross utilize, or even assist with mundane tasks they will hire someone to do one thing and only one thing. Example = if your job is to push this red button, dont touch the green one. Even if your ar qualified and have 20 years of experience pushing the green one, dont touch it. We will hire someone else to do it. From a supervisor standpoint, they create far to much "busy work". Instead of being able to actually supervise you will spend most of your day completeing mundane and meaningless "audits" with a pencil, remember its an analog airline in a digital age. They do not allow you to think, or trust you to think for yourself. You have to fill out an audit just to make sure there is nothing askew with certian area of the operation. Because you are not adept enough to correct the issues, you have to report it and have someone fly in from Dallas to tell you how to do it "the Southwest way".

Promote based on experience, skills, ability, dedication, and work ethic. Not who picks up the tab at the bar. STOP promoting "dead wood" to leadership positions that have no clue, or no experience, and no drive to excell. Employees follow leaders, not companies, promote people who LEAD BY EXAMPLE, not those that browbeat "do as I say, not as I do". If you do not get the absenteeism under control in 3 years Southwest will fail to be competitive and further lose its foothold in the industry.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!