Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com

SWA treats me like a person not a number

Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsEmployee morale high, lots of employee social events, volunteering outside the company for a cause is encouraged. Management very in tune to their employees overall. Open door policy for managers, can contact them or meet with them no matter your level or status. Management knows you by name which surprised me. Allow volunteer meeting to happen during work hours. Have deck parties every week for employees sponsored by a new department each week. Big employee pep rally each Spring off campas include food and beverages. Provide positive feedback to employees in the form of kick tails which are entered into a drawing each quarter for prizes. For the size of the company the communication is great, they lay out where we are financially where most companies are hush hush. They involve employees in making changes, if there is an issue within the company that needs resolved they will usually enlist ideas from employees as possible solutions.
Career advancement in the company is good but for new employees it may take several years because during the interview process they do look at seniority of the applicants even interval positions.

ConsOnly thing I see since I have been there is when we brought Air Tran onboard some of their people were put in management positions but they did not have the SWA mentality. So you had employees that had been managed in a certain style and it changed overnight in some cases with the new AT personnel. AT is more stringent and follow a fine line. Some do not understand the servants heart mentality and do not promote volunteering. The only other issue I see is SWA i behind in technology, so computer sytems have trouble maintaining the amount of business we have. They also have been growing and are trying to rebuild headquarters to sustain new people and AT people and have greatly reduced work space sizes because of it. Work space can be very claustrophobic, lots of noise and foot traffic within work spaces even in areas that should be quiet. Instead of trying to fit more people into smaller spaces they need to broaden their horizons and try to push for certain positions to be worked remotely. There are many that could do that but then you would need the technology to sustain that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart researching incorporating remote positions or semi-remote and the technology needed to sustain it.

Culture has changed

Technology (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Great technologies to work with. Good people on the… Cons: Management is taking the soul out of Southwest. They care only about the bottom line, and things… Advice to Senior Management: Remember your culture. A deck party doesn't make a great job, but showing that you care… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

analyst

Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros: benefits, perks,reliable,easy to work,learning experience Cons: low pay, limited travels, work culture Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Southwest Airlines.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!