Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com
  www.southwest.com
There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines

SWA is a Company employees are proud to work for. SWA is good for the employees and the communities it serves.

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The Culture, the People, the health benefits, the flight benefits.

Cons

I've been with the Company almost 20 years. It's been challenging trying to keep the family culture since it has grown.

Keep working just as hard as the individual contributors. You all are great role models.

504 Other Employee Reviews for Southwest Airlines (View Most Recent)

Grateful every day...

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I love this company. While we are all aware that we are a business and need to make money, SWA gives the front-line employees such freedom to make the job our own. They encourage us to treat our passengers as if they were guests in our own living room. I love my passengers. They have brought meaning and joy to my life. Of course, on some short full flights it is just slinging drinks but, if you keep your eyes open, you can find opportunities to make someone's day a little brighter.

Cons

I am concerned that some of our more recently-hired employees don't quite "get it." They need to understand that when they are using their phones/PDAs or doing anything else other than interacting with our customers (of course, one must take a much-needed break to eat, etc.), they are doing a disservice to our customers and all the other employees who truly care about our company.

Sometimes it seems as though management decides to implement a new program just for the sake of doing something new. New isn't necessarily better. I think it would be helpful for more of the people who manage flight attendants to have had real experience in working as a flight attendant.

Southwest is a company I'm proud to work for and I Luv going to work!

Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer
    Current Employee - Pilot - First Officer

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I'm trusted to do my job and empowered to offer advice to make a difference. I work with outstanding people who for the most part really do enjoy their jobs. The fun loving "culture" at Southwest makes it a pleasure to not only come to work but to enjoy your job while you are at work. Most importantly I am treated with respect by the company and my fellow employees. I take ownership of my Southwest family and I feel like I am part of something larger than myself. I also feel like I earn an honest wage and I have some flexibility in what kind of schedule I work. I have worked at Southwest for 4 years and I consider myself very lucky to have been hired here. I want to help make this company great because I feel like a valued employee which I have never felt at any other company. Some have said the Southwest culture is slowing going away but I completely disagree. If anything I think it has improved during this past year as we all have to deal with this economy. We have become more focused just to weather the storm and I think we will be a better company because it and I think the best days of Southwest are still ahead and I plan to make sure that is what will happen.

Cons

The overall state of the economy has led almost no growth. The combination of the pilot retirement age from 60 to 65 has added to the problem. Upgrade times for First Officers to Captain has increased from what used to be about 6 year upgrades to what is expected to be 10-12 year upgrades. This however is still an unknown as everything could change overnight depending on multiple external and internal factors. This problem has been managed as well as could be expected by Southwest and the company seems to plan well for the "bad" times as this cyclical industry is nothing new. Ultimately I feel that Southwest has managed their work force effectively given how crazy this industry is. Not one employee has lost their job at Southwest due to this economy and from where I sit I think the company makes every effort to keep all of us on the pay roll when others in this industry have not been able to take care of their own.

Continue to value the employees and we will continue to value the customers and the customers will continue value our company. Trust and respect are two way streets and I don't want to lose that aspect of our company. I like that Southwest tends to promote managers and leaders from within our company with those who know our culture the best so please look for talent from within our own ranks. I think any merger or acquisition which would fracture any working group could doom this airline. We can grow from within and select those who want to be here and be part of the Southwest culture. I would rather work with someone who wants to be here and sought employment at Southwest instead of someone who was forced to start working here because they were pawns of a system which was out of their control. Most of all keep up the great work as we are all counting on you...and you can count on us too.

There are newer employer reviews for Southwest Airlines