Stanford University

www.stanford.edu
  www.stanford.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Hard to get in, hard to leave

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Palo Alto, CA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

This is the elite of academia
Profit is not the motive
training and professional adv budgets are good
currently college tuition benefits for children of staff is re-imbursed at 50% of Stanford tuition

Cons

It can get political - various kingdoms
I have been seeking career advancement on a technical (non managerial) track and was assured by the director 4 years ago this was possible.
Well, 4 years ago I am still waiting for an update in my job title (I have increased my value via certifications and accomplishments 10x)

trickle down
have an outing with your staff (besides an icecream social in the office)

752 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Retirement Work, not good for young people

Current Employee - Computer Info Systems Analyst in Stanford, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Computer Info Systems Analyst in Stanford, CA (US)

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

Stanford is good at Research and Teaching. Hence, if you are not a researcher or a teacher, you do not have the work pressure. SO you would have much Personal Time. The benefit is fine, even the salary is lower than industry. Additional, you got chances to audit good classes for free

Cons

Low pay comparing with industry

Need improve leadership and management skills

Good job once you park and get to the office

Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

They know they're not competitive on salary so they try to have great benefits to make up for it. The place offers a good work/life balance, tuition/childcare programs (work there for five years and your kid gets money to pay tuition at any college), lots of options for health insurance at relatively reasonable prices, continuing education opportunities, and nice touches like free Caltrain passes. You have to work hard but not too hard. It's a good, steady job and you know what to expect most days. It's not saving the world, but it still feels meaningful enough. Management treats people like adults.

Cons

Parking. Seriously. Parking on campus sucks. Most technical jobs have a work @ home option at least some of the time, but you're still probably going to be looking for a parking space three or four days a week. Biking is an option in good weather, if you're brave enough, or you can take public transit and the free shuttle from Caltrain. It takes a while to get where you're going, but it's about even compared to a bad parking day. The other risk is that you might have to interact with actual college students, but it can usually be avoided.

None, I like the place.