Starbucks

realistic

Former Employee - Real Estate Representative
Former Employee - Real Estate Representative

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

the people there are amazing, the environment is fun and safe, the company provides it self on servicing the community.

Manager was fantastic, fostered team work, and growth.,

Cons

the company lacks communication between departments, etc

It is a very hard environment to work in right now, too many lay offs all happening too often.

focus on what's important, keep people happy, and go back to your core.

5624 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Starbucks--not what it used to be

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Starbucks was a great place to work for many years. You were really treated as a business owner and could make decisions for your store based on your partners, customers, and business. There was a framework, of course, but within it the store managers were generally left to run their businesses. You were held accountable for your P&L results. Successful managers were rewarded with high payouts on their bonuses. Unsuccessful managers were coached by their District Managers in an effort to improve performance. Starbucks truely lived by the Mission Statement and Guiding Principles and Store Managers based their daily decisions on them.

Cons

Over the past year the leadership team at Starbucks completely changed its style to micromanagement. Results no longer mattered. The leadership was more concerned about if you acheived their goals the exact way that they laid out for you to meet them. Promotional goals became a strict focus even if it meant driving down average transactions. So, for instance, instead of suggestively selling an item that we genuinely thought our customer (Joe) might like today based on what he ordered and what we know about him, we were made to force the same products on our customers everyday in order to meet one specific goal. Essentially we were no longer allowed to think for ourselves and those who questioned it were weeded out.

I would say that there are better ways to save money in the company than at the expense of our partners. My recommendations are :
    1) Get rid of EcoSure--The health inspectors do this for free and SMs/DMs should be able to assess operational standards as part of their regular jobs.
    2) Don't spend money on laptops for every store. Sure, it may be convenient, but it is not a necessity.
    I would also say that they should say what they mean and mean what they say. Don't tell us in NoLa at our leadership conference that we are going to be business owners again; then afterwards, micromanage us more than ever. Don't tell us that there are no more planned layoffs; then the next week layoff 700 more people.

If you're desperate, go for it.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

If you are looking for full time benefits for part time work

Cons

Senior management tends to communicate poorly, and the training has definitly taken a nose dive as of late. Its not just a coffee shop anymore.

Learn to communicate to all employees. Not just your Store Managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks