There are newer employer reviews for State Street

good

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at State Street

Pros

benefits are a plus , and pay is fair

Cons

downsizing is troublesome considering the talent they are losing

need to improve employee loyalty

1293 Other Employee Reviews for State Street (View Most Recent)

Pretty much nuetral, not great and not bad

I have been working at State Street

Pros

The benefits are great as well as the retirement 401K plan is pretty good. I have had positive experiences with my managers within my department.

Cons

But as I suspect with many large employers there is a big disconnect between upper level management and the people actually doing the work. There are way too many levels from the top down that would significantly simplify the organization.

Simplify the organization and work to make it better for the employee. Focus more on the intellectual capital and retaining current employees to drive better performance. There are many quality employees that have worked for State Street, but many of them leave because it is difficult to feel like you have made a difference.

Miserable

Former Employee - Professional Button Pusher, Excel Monkey and Cubicle Dweller  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Professional Button Pusher, Excel Monkey and Cubicle Dweller in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street

Pros

They will hire you when nobody else will. If you can breathe and have a pulse, they will get you right in here at a starting salary of 32k (which has been the same for the past 7 years and probably longer)

Cons

The salary, the salary, the salary... Oh, did I mention the salary I can't even fathom how such a large company that makes such huge profits can be so cheap. They will promise you the world when you are hired and won't deliver. You will be desperate for a job out of college so you will accept the offer of 32k in hopes that future increases and promotions will put you in a better place. You will soon find out that 5% promotions and 2% merit increases (if any are given at all) will make it nearly impossible to achieve a decent salary to survive in the Boston area, or anywhere for that matter. Speaking of promotions, lately they have been few and far between and you have to be a major suckup to even be considered for one... Considered is probably all you will be anyways because they won't give out any money. Each year there are layoffs, cuts to the bonus pool, cuts to merit increases, $0 401k profit share contribution AND to top it off, the 401k match has been cut from 6% to 5%. Once you work here, it is difficult to get out. Chances are, depending on business unit, you will not learn any transferrable skills that can be used elsewhere. You will be a State Streeter for life (or until they feel like you are now making too much and lay you off). I spoke my peace.

Pay the employees for the hard work that they do. You say that you want to lower the turnover rate and reward/retain top talent, yet a 5-10% promotion on top of an already extremely low salary will not retain anyone but the dead wood. PAY US!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!