There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Not a bad company to work for. Probably the best company to learn mutual fund.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Princeton, NJ (US)
Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Princeton, NJ (US)

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, reasonably good benefits, very friendly work atmosphere. A very good place to learn all the basics of mutual fund accounting.

Cons

Very tight work schedules. Salary on the low side. Closure of business and layoff several hundred accountants when company is very profitable.

Average management only knows layoff employees during bad times. Great management can turn redundant employees into an asset, not a liability.

1312 Other Employee Reviews for State Street (View Most Recent)

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, and decent worklife balance. If you work in Boston, its unusual to be in a group where teams don't go out after work together once a week.

Cons

Minimal ability to move around company. If you start in the back office, you're most likely going to stay there. State Street also appears to be investing less in employees in recent years.

Better reward high performing employees

Can I please have those 3 years of my life back

Former Employee - Mutual Fund Accountant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Mutual Fund Accountant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Entry level position of a mutual fund accountant is fairly easy to get and provides a good foundation for experience in the industry

Cons

It is completely luck whether you get a disgruntled manager or not. I have had 3 different ones within the company and only 1 was good, the other 2 made the job unbearable. It's not somewhere where people care that they work, it's somewhere where you end up realizing you should move on from. I can tell you, you will print out about a forest worth of paper over your career and consequentially set it aside in a box where it will sit. They will climb the walls of the office and storage rooms and eventually be taken away. Most days I often thought I was making someone a good chunk of money with all the derivatives and options I would book, but it was merely at my own expense.

Do not pretend to be a manager until you know how to do every fund in the group that you are managing.

There are newer employer reviews for State Street