State of Minnesota
www.mmb.state.mn.us Saint Paul, MN 150 to 499 Employees

Department of Health- The highlight of my career

Principal Planner (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at State of Minnesota full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEach section is unique- its own company, culture and mission. This allows for more "personable-ness" and productivity than the common stereotype for a bureaucracy.

Opportunities to participate on highly recognized projects and programs and to establish precedent on pressing health concerns- both locally and nationally.

Great benefits: healthcare, pension, life insurance, deferred compensation, etc.

ConsHiring process can be very difficult to crack unless you are an effective networker with existing employees.

Upward mobility is almost non-existent for professionals with advanced degrees.

Salaries are 30-50% less than your corporate equivalent

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate with the mission of being a public servant and -Incorporate a way to allow employees to operate at their full potential- whatever that may be.

Nice benefits, low pay, bad morale. Terrible union/management relationship

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at State of Minnesota full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great benefits, some really bright people with a high degree… Cons: Terrible management/union dichotomy means as a manager, you can't do something nice for an employee… Advice to Senior Management: Read a modern management book No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Very positive

Area Supervisor (Current Employee)
Sandstone, MN (US)

I have been working at State of Minnesota full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Very rewarding work and many challenges to address in a… Cons: Like in any government agency, swings in the political environment… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on State of Minnesota.

Worked for State of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Minnesota reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by State of Minnesota employees.