There are newer employer reviews for Sun Life

3 year downhill stumble that ends in 800 layoffs

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA (US)
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wellesley, MA (US)

I have been working at Sun Life

Pros

Fair benefits though they got cut back over the years. Good work life balance for most

Cons

Bad career development. Spent way too much on sales and sponsorships. HR department goes by the book when it benefits them but makes excuses when it doesn't. Badly run and now employees not involved in the decisions are paying for it. Employees that survive the layoff, including the new college leadership people, should take note and get out quick as it will get worse.

Accept the blame for your bad decisions, get rid of senior managers who killed the business, and use the money saved to give more to the people you are throwing out on the street, they deserve it more

300 Other Employee Reviews for Sun Life (View Most Recent)

Not the place it used to be

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

The work/life balance and benefits were good. There was a pension plan and generous 401K, plenty of vacation time and flexible work schedules, nice coworkers

Cons

No career progression, rampant favoritism where promotions and raises are only given to those put on the fast track and not based on actual skills, women are definitely treated differently here, unprofessional work environment. When I started a few years ago, this was a fun and positive place to be. Since the senior management changed and they hired the Lincoln people, things have gone downhill fast. This is not a place to work if you are looking for career development since there is no training given or opportunities like those given to those in the RDLP program for recent college graduates. It's no wonder most of my coworkers are looking for new jobs. Everyone is underpaid, overworked, and miserable.

Take a good look at the turnover and staffing levels. Sometime clearly needs to change and nothing has been done despite the satisfaction surveys. And I question the results, since you claim employees feel engaged. I'm sorry but I don't see anyone engages except those moved to better positions.

political and bureaucratic

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sun Life

Pros

nice location and campus, free parking, nice facility and fitness center
    very conservative risk management
    multi line businesses and operations

Cons

weak leadership and lack of team work
    more about showmanship than substance
    too much cronyism, same leaders get shuffled around

open your eyes and make the right calls
    stick to a strategy instead of fad of the day leadership
    focus on strategy