Sun Microsystems
www.sun.com Santa Clara, CA 5000+ Employees

I worked with some of the most brilliant and creative engineering and marketing professionals in Silicon Valley.

Senior Marketing Program Manager (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Sun Microsystems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- The opportunity to work with capable, creative professionals.
- Learning new skills.
- Doing work on a large scale, involving global communities and thousands of end user customers.
- Challenging, interesting work.

Cons- Employee ranking system on a curve - couldn't (per the ranking sytem) have all excellent or all poor workers in a group.
- Complacency by some employees resulting in decreased productivity, morale.
- Inexperienced senior management after Scott McNealy was no longer at the reins. Management by whim in some cases. Haven't worked there since oracle purchased the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage to a greater degree based on results and customer feedback.

One of the best work experiences ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

Pros: -flexible schedule and work from home options -great people -cool technology Cons: development was slow paced at times More

it was an uphill battle

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Microsystems

Pros: cutting edge technology that had lots of potential Cons: Upper management didn't know how to monetize. Advice to Senior Management: I disapprove of the CEO More

There are newer reviews on Sun Microsystems.

Worked for Sun Microsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Microsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun Microsystems CEO Lawrence J. Ellison. All reviews posted anonymously by Sun Microsystems employees.