Stable, with fits of chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA (US)

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

On-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

Cons

No telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time.

This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Your must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus.

Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

Other Reviews for Sybase

Great people, no career path

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Sybase has a fantastic group of people working at the tactical level. People in marketing work hard are are very bright. For the most part people stay in marketing at Sybase because they get comfortable with the technologies and enjoy working with the people.

Benefits are also great and in Canada, vacation is good (topping out at 4 weeks).

Cons

Sybase is run very top down and operates very lean. The culture is based on fear to an unhealthy degree. For example, the CEO has to approve every hire - including interns! Mid-level management is not given the authority to hire staff where needed and to effectively run the business.

Many people work extremely hard and not recognized or compensated for their efforts. Many of these people operate at a Director level and are never given promotions beyond Sr. Manager. Career paths are extremely limited. Employees who have been with the company for a long time are compensated significantly below the industry average, though new hires make competitive wages. Salaries have been frozen at one point for 2.5 years, and raises are minimal at 1-3% per year on average.

Start to care for the people who actually get work done - they are the ones who have made you succesful. Controlling costs isn't going to get you far when everyone who works for you is overworked and underappreciated.

Great coworkers, definitely could have been a better experience with management.

Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative  in  Concord, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative in Concord, MA (US)

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Great benefits.
    Good food in the cafeteria
    wonderful coworkers
    great company vision
    good pay

Cons

lots of middle management to get in the way
    company is always moving toward a goal but never lets you know how you fit into this goal

Help get entry level employees into better positions earlier before the get lost

There are newer employer reviews for Sybase.

Worked for Sybase? Contribute to the Community!