T. Rowe Price
www.troweprice.com Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

Culture Shift

Manager (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong company brand and top rated mutual funds. Strong company and values felt from top down. Benefits are good and company is in great financial standing based on our approach o investing and care for our clients. This is the foundation of our business and it is reinforced. Coaching is important.

ConsWhat made our company what it is today is being eroded as managers to associates are being managed to excess. More and more is being expected without providing the support to meet. To continue to be the company we are and separate ourselves from others through service excellence we need to maintain appropriate staff levels instead of this new model of unreasonable efficiencies to reduce cost. The price is the effect it is having on the staff, especially the leaders. As a manager the amount of time being given to meet the demands if the business and reduction of work life balance is too much. I see associates face's when they see us not deliver on all the promises made in new hire training, but feel powerless as a noticeable shift has occurred at the senior management level and there is not longer any collaboration. We are losing control over our departments and not for the better. Those most out of touch with the business are making decisions affecting, and ultimately shifting away from the foundation it was built on. The people are no longer important, only the numbers. But at the end of the day, wasn't it our people and their commitment to our clients that made us the company we are today? But over the last few years, through observations from leaders over their area of operation they are disillusioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the basics. Look at our history as we plan for the future. What made us the company we are? Do all of our senior leaders share Thomas Price's vision? I can tell you they don't. The good thing is most of leadership does and is deeply affected by this shift but powerless o intervene. We need a deeper look from the highest level. What is our brand? What are we saying when we make decisions and what is the downstream impact on associates and clients? We need you involved and not relying on what you are hearing from your leads, as they may be what is changing the culture, the brand, and the company that all of us our so proud of. Finally, I have worked here a long time and through many financial crisis, so I do want to say I don't think there is any correlation. Even in the past, we kept true to our focus and commitment to associates and looked at them as people.

There are newer reviews on T. Rowe Price.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at T. Rowe Price reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for T. Rowe Price CEO James A. C. Kennedy. All reviews posted anonymously by T. Rowe Price employees.