TD Ameritrade

www.tdameritrade.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade

Solid company, limited growth opportunities

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of leads from corporate, existing clients and walk-ins. Nice office environment, great benefits, no nights or weekends expected or required to get job done.

Cons

Never build your own book. No trailing comp. No real client relationships. Clients often ask for stock picks or other advice that you cannot give.

Expand product offering and role of IC. Create career path, not just a 2-3 year job.

371 Other Employee Reviews for TD Ameritrade (View Most Recent)

The most forgettable job I've ever had

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people in the rank and file

Cons

This is a boring place to work. Creative and innovative thoughts are thwarted at best, punished at worst. Upper management is quite content to cut positions, under the guise of lean, lower benefits and anything else it takes to line their own pockets. Their salary structure is mediocre, raises are pitiful and there is little to provide you with initiative to do anything more than show up.

Why bother? They have no interest in hearing anything.

Little Free-Thinking Welcome - Stay in the Box!!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay (if you negotiate well at hire), and rarely did I have to work OT.

Cons

Like a lot of these reviews have said, middle management is a huge problem - and those above them may get a lot of the blame for encouraging this attitude with the rewarding of yes-men. I was actually told once that the new initiative I was working on would step on one of those middle manager's toes so I should stop. Many of us have many stories like this. You learn to just keep your mouth shut, toe the party line, do nothing outside the box, and look for another job if you'd like anything more from your career.

I'm sure there are good areas to work and good managers at this company, but in two positions in different areas of the organization I saw the same thing. Remember that this is a company with a history of massive layoffs, so the people in charge are the people who made it through, and so are often those who managed to toe the line and not cause any waves. These are the people in management.

"Innovation" is more than just a word you can paint on the walls or hand out in flyers. So many associates are having their ideas suppressed every day. Though you say this isn't the case, we all have seen multiple people let go because they dared to speak up or challenge the status quo (or challenged "the wrong person").

There are newer employer reviews for TD Ameritrade